Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new here and I have recently picked up a 2000 G20. I have since experienced the infamous idle problem that I have found to be quite prevalent with our cars. However, judging from the threads that are returned from my search, it seems to be an issue with the P10 rather than the P11.

Is that true, or is it just more common with the P10 as they are older?

I plan to bring the car into an Infiniti dealership to have it checked out, but from what I've read, there is no absolute solution to the problem. Will bringing the car into the dealership be a sure fire way to end the idle problem?

I apologize if this has already covered, but I've searched and haven't found the answer to this specific question.

TIA :)

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
what kind of idle problem are you having? I wouldnt bring it to the dealer...at least not yet. people here should be able to help you out...

just be specific about what is going on...

Oh and welcome to the boards...Im in SD too :)

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
more info needed, I'm not familiar with an any infamous idle problem on the P11 (or on the P10 from waht I've read)?

Is the idle rough, are you stalling, does the termpature matter? Are you talking about vibration at idle?

How many miles on your car, when was the last tune up.

I doubt the car needs to go a dealer, any qualified mech should be able to handle this if you don't want to tackle it yourself

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For me.. my idle issues went away as soon as I changed spark plug wires.. the OEM ones had plastic outter jacket cut in a tiny spot..more asthetic than anything else.. but with as many miles on my car I went ahead and replaced them.. I bought some Accel Thundersport wires and WOW.. it made a hella difference.. idles smoother.. accelerates smoother.. seems to have a little more throttle response.. best $40 I spent.. got mine on ebay.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies!

The idle problem I was referring to was the rough idle at a stop. Happens in any weather. Sometimes the car will drop so low, the car will stall. More of an inconvenience than anything, but I want the car to be perfect.

The car has 112k miles and I have just had the car checked out by a mechanic who said that he could not find any problems with the car that would cause the idle.

It seems that a lot of owners with the same problem say to reground the MAF or screw around with the TPS among other fixes. I was just hoping for a clear and concise fix that I could have my mechanic look into.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
When I had problem with my mustang stumbling at idle, weird rpm fluctuations, rpms dropping, and sometimes dying at a stop.. It ended up being the TPS sensor was out of range.. I checked the voltage and it was way high.. it would run fine in the morning but once the engine warmed up (heat) it would start to idle funky.. So I got a new TPS sensor just to see if it would fix it.. and VOILA.. no more idle issues.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
nother member had a problem with the egr step motor stuck open but they had a cel.

wht gas your machanic checked and confirmed yet? anything?

It is worth the time for you to clean the throtle body out as good as you can

the iac step motor on your roller rocker engine might have a little carbon build up.
if that is not the case you need to find out if the car is stalling do to rich or lean conditions that way your checks are broken down
good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help guys...

My car is still currently with the mechanic and I have mentioned every possible thing that was listed in this thread. Hopefully we can get down to the bottom of it. I will keep you updated.

BTW, this forum has been very helpful and insightful thus far. I'm glad to have found such a great community and valuable resource!

·
Registered
63 Posts
i second that. it is real nice to have the knowledge of so many at my finger tips, i was actually goin to post the same question but already up here

·
Registered
38 Posts
twicedarice said:
my idle fluctuation went away after i cleaned the throttle body :baffled:

What method did you use to clean the throttle body? Spray and perhaps an internal brushing where you could reach or did you remove and properly clean it? I ask as I am thinking of really cleaning that throttle body plus EGR etc. I am just intimidated by what I need to do to remove and reinstall that puppy. I am not a mechanic. :baffled:

The write up on se-r.net http://www.se-r.net/engine/clean_throttle_body.html mentions not to use spray cleaner and others use it. I am not sure what to do.

So my question to you all: Is it OK to use carb cleaner or not? If my skills are limited, can I still remove the throttle body and clean it or is that a "tough" job? I have a 93 P10 high port.

Thanks for any help all

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
well i know in my cse i can only be as helpfull as the info nd acuracy of it I get.
i try but i can never take a persones word for anything.
I never base nything on wht is the normal cuase. i would rather gather info tht is why i do not sudjest loads of things for one to do. Im better giveing knoladge to some one who knows a thing or 2. i can not give some one voltage checks and such with out knowing they know how to do them right

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Issue ended up being a bad MAF sensor. Got that replaced, got the throttle body cleaned, and dropped in a new air filter. Car is running as good as new! Not only does the car idle properly, but the car accels faster as well.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Spelunko said:
What method did you use to clean the throttle body? Spray and perhaps an internal brushing where you could reach or did you remove and properly clean it? I ask as I am thinking of really cleaning that throttle body plus EGR etc. I am just intimidated by what I need to do to remove and reinstall that puppy. I am not a mechanic. :baffled:

The write up on se-r.net http://www.se-r.net/engine/clean_throttle_body.html mentions not to use spray cleaner and others use it. I am not sure what to do.

So my question to you all: Is it OK to use carb cleaner or not? If my skills are limited, can I still remove the throttle body and clean it or is that a "tough" job? I have a 93 P10 high port.

Thanks for any help all
Use throttle body cleaner not carb cleaner.. carb cleaner will eat away any coating that the throttlebody might have on it.. throttlebody cleaner is also O2 sensor safe.. Whereas carb cleaner isn't...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts