Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove a couple 2000 G20s today. The one I liked the best had been really well cared for, but it has 135,000 miles, mostly freeway. Since I'm pretty new to the world of Infinitis, I'm not sure if I should be concerned by that number. It's obviously high for a car that age, but can I reasonably expect it to get me up to 200,000 or better? Like I said, it seems to be well maintained, so I'm pretty optimistic. I'd appreciate input and thoughts.

Also, when test driving it, I noticed when I hit the stops on the steering, I got a bit of a squeak coming from the front end. Normal for this car?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
If it has been well cared for mechanically then it will last a long time.
There are lots of guys on the west side of the state for you too. :smile:

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
If you are into tuning it is a bit easier to do with a 1999. But if you are not into tuning or like a slightly newer car, the 2000+ are great as they have a few extras and a bit more low end (initial power).

The older non-roller rocker engines commonly do 300,000+ and the newer type of engine, a roller rocker, in 2000+ G20s seemingly can do the same. The highest that I know of is 220,000 in a friends Sentra SE 2.0 which has a nearly identical engine to 2000+ G20s.

As for the squeak check the power steering for leaks. The clamps that Infiniti uses are cheap... Can lead to squeaks. Look under the passenger side for red drops of ATF (PS pump uses Dexron III) or with the engine off and cool follow the belts back to the power steering pump and feel around for fluid. (Also do not do full lock for more than 15 seconds per the FSM.)

I do not know if you know all the terms, but if you do not just ask - there are a lot of good guys on this forum that will help you out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses so far, folks! I'm still considering the car, but I'm kinda wondering if I'd be better off waiting for the next one to come along. I've seen a few advertised for $8000-$9000 with 80-100k miles on it, and I know I'd feel a little more comfortable with something like that. Problem is that these suckers are hard to find around here. I'm in the Seattle area, and every time I find one (I've found about 6 now doing an online search), by the time I call them it's already been sold. Frustrating! So I'm just worried that if I pass this one up, it might be forever until I get another shot.

·
Registered
91 Posts
that was my experience. the ads on the net stay up even after the car has been sold. the ad for my car was still up! It's a gem of a car and worth the hunt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ZoliElo said:
I say wait untill you find one you truly like. It took a while for me as well to find a P11 that I would want.
i agree - don't be discouraged if you don't find one right away. It took me about a month. but when you find the one you like....JUMP on it and dont delay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again guys. We decided to pass on this one. The guy selling it started to get a little shady on us, and we were feeling less and less comfortable. Oh well. The hunt continues!

·
Registered
592 Posts
It took me half a year to find the right G20t for me...I past up a couple but finally found one on www.ebay.com.

I was able to test drive the car b/c it was located in Long Island and made an offer to the owner after the auction closed with no winning bidder.

Trust me...don't rush and you'll find the one you really want...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Crying Freeman said:
It took me half a year to find the right G20t for me...I past up a couple but finally found one on www.ebay.com.

I was able to test drive the car b/c it was located in Long Island and made an offer to the owner after the auction closed with no winning bidder.

Trust me...don't rush and you'll find the one you really want...
i saw that one in LI on ebay also - automart had a few and u can pay $600 to have it shipped or something like that. DId you call any infiniti dealers?

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
If I were you id buy a 2002. Just my opinion unless you want to swap motors and such, the comfort things over the 99' make the difference.

·
G MERA
5,199 Posts
I sold my 02 that had 99k on it for 7k.

I've been keeping an eye out for some 99t's and I've seen a lot of them around the 6k mark. Like Dom said, the 02 sport is really the cream of the crop, unless you want to do extensive motor work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts