Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 01 p11 with about 128k miles on it, it needs a clutch and I just bought a beater. I'm ready to do a swap! I've been reading up for the past couple months on some of the swaps and i think i decided I want to go with the ve. I'm, still a little confused about the ecu and wiring setup in an 01. It sounds like the best inexpensive, but right way to do it would be to run a p10 obdII harness and a p10 obdII jwt ecu. Sound about right?

·
looking for a can opener
2,399 Posts
p10 obdII? There's no such thing. Your 01 is OBDII, VE's -any year- need obdI stuff.
You can just use an obdI SR20de harness (91-94) and get a JWT ecu. You can have them program when the solenoids engage (the rpm) or you can buy rpm switches, if you ever want to change them on your own down the road.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
there are definitely obdII p10's. i own 2 of them. as far as i know you do not need to change the entire harness. i believe you can rewire a couple pins and be ok. also, over on sr20forum someone was making wireharness adapters, so that might be another good option for you

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Yup yup these guys are right, unless you go with a standalone.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm in the middle of a VE swap into a 99 UK spec P11. I'm using the obd1 harness that came with the car with an SR16VE ecu. It's almost a straigh fit with the exception of the cam actuators.
On SR20forum, someone is selling an SR16VE ecu and complete harness. That would be a good starting point...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. Now, if I were to run an obdI ecu either jwt or sr16ve would I have problems passing emisions or is there a way to get around that? What about a standalone? I could run my original harness with that right? Would it be worth spending the $1k+ on a standalone since im considering adding cams and or possibly a turbo later down the road?

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i dont know how the laws work in MD, but if you were here you wouldn't pass emissions with any of those options. you would have to use a 94-96 obd2 g20 ecu and trick it into thinking you have an EGR valve with a resistor. reason for this is because they use a OBD2 scan for vehicles 96 and newer. the law could be different where you are.

oh and also i doubt you will use your current harness with a standalone system

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
01G20KT said:
Thanks for the input. Now, if I were to run an obdI ecu either jwt or sr16ve would I have problems passing emisions or is there a way to get around that? What about a standalone? I could run my original harness with that right? Would it be worth spending the $1k+ on a standalone since im considering adding cams and or possibly a turbo later down the road?
A standalone pretty much beats any other possibility.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
kevin, is a standalone gonna pass an obd2 emissions test?

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
StangG20 said:
kevin, is a standalone gonna pass an obd2 emissions test?
That I wouldnt know, we dont have emissions in Florida, but from my guestimation....no, any modified engine when it comes to inspection will probably fail the visual (no EGR) but the VE engine is known for passing emissions throughout the SR20forum.com community. This is why many people are puzzled why Nissan sold us out with the VE motor.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
A standalone won't give codes like the factory ECU, so it won't pass (in my case Arizona) emissions tests. They plug in a code scanner and check for thrown codes, stored codes, etc...

The problem with 00-02 G20's is they use a 32bit ECU and the harness plug to the ECU is different from all the others (which are 16bit) so you need to either rewire a 16bit harness connector onto the 00+ harness, get a harness adapter, or swap the harness from a 99 p11 and rewire some stuff still.

CN: It's LOTS of fun [/sarcasm]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a pain in the arse. Anyone have any experience with that harness adapter being sold on sr20forum?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts