Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm kinda new to the whole car thing. I'm 17years old, i have a brand new 2002 g20 sports edition. I love the car to death but yea it's a lil on the slow slide, which is a problem for me cuz i love to race. I don't have a job so i'm on a limited budget but i still want to add around 25- 50 hp without voiding my warrenty.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks for your time
nick

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
I don't have a job so i'm on a limited budget but i still want to add around 25- 50 hp without voiding my warrenty.
How'd you score that at 17? :confused:

Anyhow, for starters, 25-50HP for cheap and quickly? Don't think so.

But for starters, look into advanced timing, CAI.

You have the roller rocker engine so I am not very familiar with it. The first year and the last year for that engine if I am not mistaken. Last of the G20's and last of the SR20's my friend. Atleast in the US!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: Re: Quick cheap HP

NismoPC said:
The first year and the last year for that engine if I am not mistaken.
You are, 2000 was the first year.

Anyway how cheep is cheep to you? 25hp-50hp with out NOS or turbo is not cheep. Even then NOS would be your best bet. If you're looking for something a little more 'on demand' then you'll need header, intake, exhaust, pullies and cams to be close to +25-30hp at the wheels. That will run you under a couple grand plus installation.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Quick cheap HP

NismoPC said:

The first year and the last year for that engine if I am not mistaken.
G-Forces said:

You are, 2000 was the first year.
WELL DAMN! :evil:

OK, per an email:

He is looking to spend $1,000 or less and get the most power for his money. Your list looks like it will get him off to a really good start!!!!!!

Hell, some of those things need to be on mine. Now if I could just get the money and do it.=)

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
For $1000 I would get a HS CAI, Unorthodox 2 pulley set, HS header, quick shifter aka "short shifter".

The CAI, pullies and header together should get you 25whp. The short shifter (buy a real one, dont cut yours, thats not how it works.) will help you with your shifting speed a whole bunch.

Next step I would suggest would be JWT's new roller rocker cams and a cat-back exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
CAI, Header, pullies, timing, lightened flywheel, and clutch netted me 141 hp to the wheels. That's about 15-25hp over stock, depending on what your car puts down stock. That's a very noticeable difference right there.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:
The CAI, pullies and header together should get you 25whp.
That's a little optomistic IMO. Take it from someone who's spent some time at the dyno and seen various SR in different states of most. You usually need cams of some sort to get over that 25hp mark. 15whp is more like it with those mods. You'll definitely notice the difference.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Don't know why I never thought of this before. George would call this 'trivia' but I think it gives a good idea of what you can expect from different combos of mods.

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/dyno/dyno_day_1999.html

The cars state of tune plays a big part in the amount of power put down too. So take those numbers with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for responding,
Will these upgrades, CAI, Header, Pullies, void my warrenty?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
Hey thanks for responding,
Will these upgrades, CAI, Header, Pullies, void my warrenty?
The US has passed some law, with the help of SEMA, that states it will void any parts that break down in realation to the modification. So if you lower the car they can't deny your motor warrenty claim. The part has to be responsible for the break down to void it.

In short yes and no. They might hassle you and try and get out of it if say your water pump goes early. Talk to your main dealership before hand. They might be cool about it. Mine was. If they aren't shop around till you find one that won't give you much hassle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you wanted "cheap speed", ya should have just gotten a mustang or camero. As for the warranty if you decide to put on bolt ons, I haven't had any problems with the dealers. I have 85000 on my G with intake header exhaust, and a clutch. My motor blew a 1000 miles ago, and was replaced at no charge with no hassle directly from Infiniti North America. The way it works is that the dealership gets paid by Infiniti so they most of the time will go the extra mile for you. They don't get paid as much as customer out of pocket, but it still supplies them with business.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright so basically it will only void the warrenty of the part i'm replacing, so if i change the exhaust and my engine blows up likes yours did then they're not going to say "i dont' think so" when i go and ask them for a new engine.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
nuthn2luz said:
If you wanted "cheap speed", ya should have just gotten a mustang or camero. As for the warranty if you decide to put on bolt ons, I haven't had any problems with the dealers. I have 85000 on my G with intake header exhaust, and a clutch. My motor blew a 1000 miles ago, and was replaced at no charge with no hassle directly from Infiniti North America. The way it works is that the dealership gets paid by Infiniti so they most of the time will go the extra mile for you. They don't get paid as much as customer out of pocket, but it still supplies them with business.
But that's not always the case... I went to the local Infiniti dealer (in Phoenix) and asked them to check something out (EGR stuff) a while back and they didn't want to because of my mods. The eventually did, but they said that it could be the mods affecting it (which it wasn't). BTW, this was on my old black G20, if you remember that one. I'm not sure everyone would have the same luck you did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a high likelihood of the matter being at the dealerships discression. In my case, I have the aebs 4-1 header with the o2 sensor located at the bottom. Of course I had to extend the wires a mere foot in order for the wires to reach. This is the same header that was installed when my engine went to sr20land. It could be that I just got a good service advisor. As for intake or exhaust you will not run into problem if the product was designed for your vehicle and installed properly. Justin- did you take your G to Infiniti of Scottsdale? that's where I usually take mine.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
nuthn2luz said:
Justin- did you take your G to Infiniti of Scottsdale? that's where I usually take mine.
Yeah, that's where i had the issue, probalby about 2 years ago. They didn't want to work on my car because of the modifications, and when i told them that it wasn't related to the mods, and that the egr was malfunctioning, they said they'd look at it, all they could come back with was that it was related to the modifications. It was not related to that at all, but those monkey's couldn't look past the mods.
I have the exact same intake and header on this car, and it passed emissions with flying colors, WAY below the limit. Go figure. Who did you talk to there? I need to have someone look at my A/C, I have it narrowed down to the compressor, but i'm not 100% sure, so i need to take it to someone ACK! before it starts to get too hot, and i actually need to run the A/C. That's gonna suck. I'll just tell them i'll provide the parts (like the A/C Compressor). I know it's not just the freon too, as i've already filled it and that didn't help at all. :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
My service advisor over there is Stacey Moore. He's helped me with my car for the past 3 years and has never ripped me off. Tell me when you are going to head up there. I can meet ya, and maybe he could hook ya up? He might just let you pay him under the counter. [email protected]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not an expert in the a/c department by any means, however my a/c was blowing not as cool as regular a bit ago. Infiniti scottsdale checked for leaks and found that a hose was crimped. YOu may wanna just check to see that the lines look good before you replace anything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 2002 sport 5-speed I put on a jwt pop and advanced the timing and I can feel the difference just from that

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ihave a 2002 sport 5-speed for cheap I put ajwt pop on and advanced the timing cost me $100 and I can feel the difference

1 - 20 of 41 Posts