Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you P10/P11 owners actually autocross/track your cars? What kind of potential does the suspension have? Anybody make any serious performance suspension components that are available fairly readily? The SR20DE is one of the reasons i'm even considering getting this car. Every time i think abou the G20, i think TOURING CAR. The classic B13 SER is ugly as sin, so that is out. The other car i'm considering is possibly a naturally aspirated SW20 MR2 (91-95). I know its not even in the same class, but this car must be a reliable daily driver as well and a decent performing street/track car. Any and all posts/suggestions/comments are welcomed.

-Lok

Oh yeah were the Nissan R200(i think thats the code) VLSDs available on P10s?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Okay, instead of outright shutting you down for not using the search function, I'll give a couple answers...

Yeah, there's a couple people who autocross P10s. I don't know if there are any in particular on this forum *highly likely* but yes, it's been done and the ones I've seen did okay, considering they were up against Miatas and such.

The suspension is full of potential. Without getting all complicated and technical; let's just say that the P10 (even the P11, despite that "semi-independent" rear) has a suspension that can easily give those damn Hondas a run for their money. *and their suspensions are held in high regard too :sleep: *

There are "serious" suspension components made by companies like Tein, JIC, and others; mostly in Japan.

Yes, the P10/P11 are *at least in my opinion* very much touring cars. The newest version (the P12...gee imagine that. See a pattern here?) actually runs in the BTCC.

That n/a MR2 would probably kill the P10, and even more so the P11. Well duh, the SW20 MR2 is a sports car, mid-engine, all nice and designed for killing nicer, cushy, luxurious, leather-seated, comfortable-riding, smooth-driving Infiniti G20s.

About the daily driver thing: the G20 would be a great choice, for no apparent reason that I mentioned above. It's no slouch, and while it IS possible to daily drive an MR2, it probably won't stay in your posession very long. MR2s are jacked a lot, and are a very hot commodity. The G20 on the other hand, is nice and easy going, very nice, but not theif-prone *at least I think not* and it's immune to cops... not that you'd be out street racing it just cuz it has the potent SR20 *cough cough*

I don't know the code for Nissan LSD trannies, but yeah, a viscous limited slip is available on P10 and P11 touring models. (G20t)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Lok said:
How many of you P10/P11 owners actually autocross/track your cars?
I drove my G20 on the track at the DE event at the 2000 and 2001 SE-R national conventions. I had to miss this year's convention. I also occasionally race a 92 SE-R in SCCA ITS.

Lok said:
What kind of potential does the suspension have?
Lots. While the P10 is a heavier car than the B13 it actually feels lighter because of the superior front suspension. I think the P10 rotates better than the B13 as well. The P10 is easier to place on the road in corners than the B13.

Lok said:
Anybody make any serious performance suspension components that are available fairly readily?
I guess that depends upon what you call readily available. There are some good components available. They take a little work to get. The current best set-up would either be a ShigSpeed coilover set that is based upon Koni dampers or a JIC coilover set-up. As many here know, I really want a set of Konis and will be installing them on my race car.

Lok said:
The SR20DE is one of the reasons i'm even considering getting this car. Every time i think abou the G20, i think TOURING CAR.
The SR20 is a wonderful powerplant. The G20 is really a fantastic car with the SR20DET. It transforms the car and feels right.

Lok said:
The classic B13 SER is ugly as sin
Easy now. ;)

Lok said:
so that is out.
If you want performance, the SE-R is hard to beat and there are more suspension choices for it. It's also lighter than the G20.

Lok said:
The other car i'm considering is possibly a naturally aspirated SW20 MR2 (91-95). I know its not even in the same class, but this car must be a reliable daily driver as well and a decent performing street/track car. Any and all posts/suggestions/comments are welcomed.
The SE-R will outperform the MR2. I'm not sure about the G20, but I'd think it would be closer. I'll admit the MR2 is sexier. Some don't like 4 doors. I prefer 4 doors and I've done the 2 seater thing before. Once in a lifetime is enough.

Lok said:
Oh yeah were the Nissan R200(i think thats the code) VLSDs available on P10s?
The G20t came with the VLSD. I am pretty certain that the VLSD was optional on the regular G20. I've been told by a Nissan engineer that this is correct, but my foggy memory still says I remember them being available.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I frequently do twisty mountain runs and occasionally autocross. The G20 is a very capapble car. It has a good suspension setup out of the box. I have a cheap setup; Intrax Springs with KYB AGX's. But with the AGX's on the hardest setting going through the twisties or on the track, the handling is VERY tight and responsive.

I used to own a FC RX7 Turbo. The handling response and direct feeling is better than the G20. But you have to remember that on twisty courses, your control of the car is what makes the car fast. I have to drive the G20 differentlly, but lots of driving time will make you learn the car's capabilities.

I'm going to AutoX this weekend with my borther who is taking my ex-RX7. I'm pretty sure I can beat his times since he's still unfamiliar with the car...:p

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thats a hard choice to make... Personaly I would go for a MR2 between your two choices. You can find more performance parts for the car and it looks better than a P10 to me. Before I had the money to pick up a new G20 I was going to get a 1995 MR2 Turbo. But sience your getting a N/A Cammary engine that thing will run forever.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I've run my car at a few DE events now. Autocrossed once so far and hope to run more in the future. The suspension that I have on the car now is about the lowest suspension setup you'd want for track/street use. It works great, however there are also better setups out there (more expensive too). I've also drag raced, while not nearly as fun as a road course, it's ok. Oh yeah, so far I haven't had any mechanical issues (other than a mushy brake pedal, etc...) from racing/hot lapping the car either *crosses fingers*
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
863 Posts
FF Drifter said:

Yes, the P10/P11 are *at least in my opinion* very much touring cars. The newest version (the P12...gee imagine that. See a pattern here?) actually runs in the BTCC.
Make that FTCC, as they are racing in the French an not in the British touring car championship. But they raced the BTCC until they won every category in 99.
They also race in the German Touring car championship, but the performance of those teams were not as good as the british.
Of course they race in Japan, and Australia, and who knows how many others country, and of course the G20=Primera is a touring car, well one of the best touring car ever.

:nervous:

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
i drag raced raced the g20 a total of two times at englishtown raceway in nj and once at brandonton raceway in fl i dont want to drag race anymore or even do circle track racing what i would be interested in doing is learning how to drift race and i'm wondering how to get the g prepared for driftiing probably work mostly on suspension setup i dont know i never been to a pro drift race event i just saw it a few times on tv and i feel like a dracer from time to time going around these turns..

casual
other then that i just use to street drag race iin tampa on the weekends i think tampa street racing online got some pics of my g out there i'm the only g that is usually there so u might see some pics of me busting ass out there..
take it easy and enjoy the G

casual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts