Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1994 U.K. P10's radiator is obviously past it's sell-by date, with half the thin corrugated fins having rotted away, but no leaks. The temperature starts to climb if I hold 80mph up a long incline on a hot day if the sun is full, so I know I should get a new radiator really BUT.........

There's plastic blanking plates behind the (cosmetic) radiator grill completely blocking off fresh air intake direct to the radiator, the only cool air entry is from the opening in the bumper (fender) right at the bottom of the radiator. Radiators are hotter at the top so I would have thought cool air here is more effective, so I am going to try removing the blanking plates from the main grill, but knowing U.K. weather patterns it could be some time before I know if it's worked or not.

I have looked at a few other makes of car and none of them have their grill blanked off. I was wondering if the plates are Nissan's way of tuning the cooling abilities of the car according to what country they're sold in, i.e. if selling in equatorial regions, remove the plates?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yes. Nissan does this to comply with the typical maintenance & breakdown norms of the country the car is sold in.

Having owned a '66 Triumph Spitfire in high school 20 years ago, I became aware that Brits expect to have a cooling system malfunction roughly twelve times a year. Therefore, Nissan now sabotages their UK-market cars with radiator covers so the car's owner will experience the typical monthly garage visit .

You may also notice that the wiring on your UK-market Nissan is equipped with pre-rusted connections so you'll have a normal Lucas-Electrics-style relationship with your electrical system.

Sorry about the ribbing ........ I simply had to pay your countryfolk back for that poor excuse of a sportscar I was saddled with all those years ago.:p :p :cheeky: :p

Since you're "over there" did you know Russell Bulgin, formerly of CAR magazine, has passed away at age 43 ...so sad!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good one. (The ribbing that is.)

I took the plates off, they turned out to be metal held on with melted plastic, so there's my power to weight ratio up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts