Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the highest compression people have heard of on the SR20DE. What are the best ways to acheive higher compression on the SR20de?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
lapdanceheaven said:
What is the highest compression people have heard of on the SR20DE. What are the best ways to acheive higher compression on the SR20de?
I had a 11:1 engine in my SE-R. I know of an 11.5:1 engine being street driven as well. I know that race engines run 13:1 and higher.

As for the best way to acheive it, you can run 300ZX pistons with the domes intact, or you can remove the domes (running them flat-topped) and have the combustion chamber welded and reshaped such as a DPR Stage VI head. The welded head is probably the best way to do it since it increases quench area which helps reduce detonation.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
another way is to skim the head, possibly the cheapest way but i couldnt tell you the pros and cons. Having said that, if youre going to all the trouble of removing the head, then removing/changing the pistons isnt that hard to carry out, drop the sump, unbolt the rods and push em out!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I know this thread went stagnant days ago, I just wanted to make sure that nobody was considering shaving their heads! The FSM allows for less than 0.01" to be removed, and only for the purposes of making the surface true!

I think it'd be cool as hell to start with a JDM high-port, standard-compression engine (can be had for way less than $1000 with low mileage if you shop smartly) and do the same that Geo did to his Beast. This'd be especially useful to P11 owners that don't have much of an easy upgrade path, since the JDM engine would likely come with the old-style harness, at least the MAF and O2 sensors, and an old-style ECU to control it. BLAMMO! Fully upgradable engine, not too much cash layed out, lots and lots of benefits to be reaped!

Hey, Geo; when're you going to update your personal web site again? I'm anxious to read more about both cars. :)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Hey, Geo; when're you going to update your personal web site again? I'm anxious to read more about both cars. :)
You mean all three cars. I have some photos to scan of the 944. I don't have a lot to report on it yet though. The SE-R is officially dormant. I don't know when I'll get it running again. I'd like to leave it dormant until I have the time and money to refurbish it correctly.

The G20 will get some stuff eventually, but the race car is coming first. I will be installing Primera Te bumpers eventually, but again, it comes down to time/money that I can spend on the G20 instead of the 944. Probably sometime next year.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My point is that shaving the head, or the deck for that matter, more than 0.010", is a Very Bad Thing (TM). Don't do it. Ever.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
CowboyDren said:
My point is that shaving the head, or the deck for that matter, more than 0.010", is a Very Bad Thing (TM). Don't do it. Ever.

jayntguru said:
Agreed, that's the service limit, and there has to be a reaso for it...
I'll bet a bunch of bananas that the very reason that is the service limit is precisely because of the change in cam timing.

Of course, if you run anything but stock pistons, all bets are off (have to calculate piston clearance).

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'll see your bananas and raise you a flea comb.

Aren't standard SR20DE pistons already in grave danger of striking the electrode on the spark plugs? One more mm on that electrode (~0.040" according to lots of old-school auto machinists) and click; no more spark. So it's not as dramatic as boom, but it's a danger just the same.

I'm just parroting here; thought I saw something about that in the ignition part of the engine tuning guide at SE-R.net. Please don't quote me on technical content, I was just making a joke at Geo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts