Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member/G20 owner. I have a 1991 G20 (manual) and I hear this rattling from the engine bay. It is comming from around the area of my ABS system (that was suggested as the source previously at sr20deforum.com but I just want to make sure/get another opinion before I start messin with stuff) and it sounds horrible. Any idea what it might be or can anyone confirm that it is the ABS system?

Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
It could be the compressor. If you run over something that hits the underside of your car right beneath the compressor, it will bend that plastic guard underneath there and it can rub on all sorts of things. Just stick your head under there and look to see if it's in it's correct place.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My 93.5 does the same--First take off all the belts and crank engine for very short time--if you still hear the rattle it is not a pulley , compressor or anything belt driven--the next best bet is timing chain---a know problem for this year model---it could just be a tensioner and there is a work around or the sr20 web site-- I chose not to do this because if the chain is rattling it may have worn the chain guides and they need to be replaced---

cost to go into the chain area should be in the $1200-1500 category if you go to dealer--they will replace chain, guides, and tensioner as well as inspect all other related areas

Labor time for this job is about 20 hours for an experienced tech.

Not hard but very time consuming

I would certainly get an expert opinion with this much money involved

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
SymphonyX said:
New member/G20 owner. I have a 1991 G20 (manual) and I hear this rattling from the engine bay. It is comming from around the area of my ABS system (that was suggested as the source previously at sr20deforum.com but I just want to make sure/get another opinion before I start messin with stuff) and it sounds horrible. Any idea what it might be or can anyone confirm that it is the ABS system?

Thanks

Is it a loud rattle? I have a subtle rattle coming from my ABS. If I hold the ABS pump, the rattle stops. I think it's some mounting problem.:-\

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually hear this noise when I start to accelerate, but once in 3rd gear it is gone, usually, sometimes I even hear it in neutral when I am stoped at a red light. The previous owner said she changed the timing chain. I don't know about the compressor, the only problems I have heard from it is if I hit a puddle of water the belt skips a bit, but I will check it just to make sure. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i wouldnt know about any timing chain, but your handle is BADASS. they rock. (SymphonyX)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks WolfInSheepsClothing, I have not met another person who actually knows of them besides my buddy who's band name is Moskenstein (also my handle on sr20deforum.com). The rattling isn't what is bothering me anymore... (see new post)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem with my car, with the timing chain or something of that nature cause the engine to het louder during higher RPM's? Like on the highway?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Usually it is loudest when I am letting off the clutch, so it is getting louder with the higher rpms. It is so annoying and so loud, you can hear it over my exhaust leak...

Just a side note, my cousin (owns a 92 Sentra SE-R) and I did an oil change on my car and he was complaining about the lower suspention and a few other things different in the engine bay then in his car (I think he's jeleous).:cool:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Noise

I had plenty of rattling noise to!! I couldn't pin point it out. I thought my life was over. But my mechanic told me that my motor mounts were screwed up...That solved my life...Be sure to Check yurs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts