Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 G20 suddenly started making this sharp rattling sound when I step on the gas. It dwindles when I let off. The sound comes from the passenger engine side. It's most noticeable when I am in stop and go traffic. On the highway, it can be noticed between 2000 and 3000 rpm's when I remove my foot from the gas. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry I should have searched first.

I have seen that it could be the heat shield. Where is the heat shield?

One important piece of info that I forgot about is that last Thursday I hit a curb pretty good with the front passenger tire. Also the problem seems harder to duplicate when the car is not moving or it is just not as noticeable as when the car is moving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RunninPlaya said:
check the bearings in your passenger side axle
Thanks but I am not sure how to do that. Is that something I can do? If this was the case, why would I hear the sound when the car is not moving? It's still present at higher RPM's it's just not as apparent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard that if you do that then if you park over dry leaves or something like that you can catch them on fire. Someone told me to use a dryer hose clamp? Does that sound right? My problem is that I don't have a way to get it off the ground to get to it. The Sears mechanic told me about it because I wanted to get the bearings, etc checked because of hitting the curb. He warned me against taking it off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It wasn't the heat shield causing all the racket. The heat shield was a little loose but not enough to cause all that noise. It was a bolt that had come loose that helps secure the alternator (and a nut from that bolt had also fallen down as I found out later). I had my alternator replaced in April, so after I realized there was no way for me to easily get to it, I took it back to the place that installed my alternator and they took care of it for free.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
good to know. at what mileage did u replace your alternator?

·
Registered
18 Posts
rattling noise for me too

i have the EXACT same noise problem...what/where exactly is the heat shield?...my front bumper was hanging down a bit off the right side so i used some "zip ties" to secure it back in place thinking the noise was from this, but it wasnt.....could the noise be from the big black flexible piece that is under the engine and connected to the front bumper that is pretty much the entire width of the car?....as you can see, i'm a novice when it comes to cars, thus my terminology.....GREAT description on the noise by the way. The noise I'm experiencing doesn't occur ALL the time, just MOST of the time. Its when I'm going slow, usually accelerating from 10-30mph. It is a real annoyance because otherwise, my car is great.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Heat shield is under the car. Follow the exhaust header pipe down and you will see the heat shield. There is an upper piece and a lower piece. I developed the heat shield rattle at around 70k miles here in Michigan (lots of salt). Just remove it. The upper piece is difficult to remove if you have a rear O2 sensor, which your 2001 G will have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts