Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I've been reading enough threads on engine swapping to even make me consider asking this question eventhough I am determined for an SR20DE+T. If it is a stupid question, so let it be. I know that the RB26DETT would fit in the 240SX and NX2000, but would it fit in the G20? Please dont' let me know the only possible swap for the G20 is the BB SR20DET! Awaits for any educational inputs ......

jIm

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Jim can you show the the proof that some one dropped a rb26dett into a nx2k? Anything is really possible if you have enough money. The two RB swaps that you mentioned are probaby very custom not to mention expensive one off jobs. the 240sx might be a bit easier but not easy at all. the RB is a big motor! BTW whats wrong with the SR20DET? You've also got a VE.

You know we're pretty lucky we have a swap that is really very easy in the scheme of things. Basically just drop in and go. Some guys can even do this in a weekend. Other than the Honda camp I don't know too many other cars (SR20DET into a 240sx and G20/SE-R/NX2K) that have such a easy swap.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
RB26DETT will take some serious work to drop into any front wheel drive vehicle. It's meant to drop into RWD vehicles, and besides, it's clunky to stuff into a car it's not meant to be in because it's an inline six. To be honest, probably only the Supra can easily take it in because the 2JZ is similar in size/shape. The engine block is very LONG.

The SR20DET is a MUCH better swap into our cars, because a) it'll actually FIT!!! b) it's cheaper and c) it's great on its own merits!!! The SR20DET *I can't stress this enough* is the greatest engine of its kind. It's not the ONLY swap for G20 *but why would you want anything else?* The KA24 engines in old Stanzas will also drop in, as well as some QG and SR##VE engines available in Japan. I don't know why you'd want these though, the SR20DET is the most common swap simply because it's the BEST swap. Besides maybe a VQ35 drop *would it fit...from a new Altima..?* I can't think of anything better than the SR20DET. And if you don't like the BlueBird one, you can use the one in the Pulsar GTiR; more power, but it'll cost you a bit more too.

Besides, as mentioned earlier, it's easy and drops right in....

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Standing beside an RB26DETT motor at the SEMA show you'd have to do SERIOUS modifications to your car to make it fit, one would be cutting out the firewall. The other would be making a spot for the tranny and drivetrain under the car. Those two mods alone would probalby cost more than your car is worth :-\

If 400+hp out of an SR20DET isn't enough, it's probalby not gonna be streetable unless you get a 300z, Supra, or a big domestic muscle car, and then it might be...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J, I got the swap info from an Import magazine. It is on the stand right now and I don't know the exact title. I don't recall any info relating to how easy or difficult would it be for a swap of the RB26DETT into these cars. It is one powerful engine and I thought if someone do decide to go to the extent, they might as well see all possibilities.

I do know that the SR20DET has lots of potentials to produce well over 400whp, but that's with adds-on. As such, one might better off building up the SR20DE instead!

It was just a thought anyway. You guys are right that for such swap, it would require extensive modifications to the engine bay!

With all of these option analyses, I think I am firm on what I want to do. Yes, back to square one......Turbo, baby!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-loads said:
It was just a thought anyway. You guys are right that for such swap, it would require extensive modifications to the engine bay!

Actually, you're talking about the whole car... You have to make a spot under the car for the rear part of the drivetrain. Along with possibly the rear suspension too. It'd cost WAYYYY too much money!:confused:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
You could probably save money by going to Japan, buying a used Skyline, then framing G20 body parts over the chassis and forcing them to fit. Then maybe you can do some interior work to make it look like a plain G20 *but keep that video screen with all the gauges on it ;) * then put the Infiniti G20 badges all over it and everything. Now that'd be quite a surprise...:beard:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Drifter, now I could imagine something like this would be possible :)

Does anyone knows the production year for this engine?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Sure, anything is possible with enough money. What engine did you want now? Okay, check this: *info derived from December issue of Option 2*

RB series engines have been available in assorted levels of Skyline (R32) since the early 90s. The smallest engine you can get is the RB20DET, so think of it like an SR20DET...but umm...better. The RB20DET is still an inline six, so stuffing that in your engine bay won't really be any easier than the RB26DETT, but it'll be A LOT cheaper, and the approx. 250hp it puts out won't be a real slouch either.
Engine displacement increases in the RB series up through the R33 Skylines, they can vary from 2.5~2.6L. The RB26DETT first makes its debut here *mid to late 90s*. If you notice, most Skyline GT-Rs in the USA are of the R33 model line, so my guess is; they're currently *affordable?* and don't have a million miles on them. I've never heard of anyone just buying a Skyline motor and not the whole Skyline, and since I'm not the one who's gonna try to stuff the RB26DETT into a G20, someone else can call Motorex to find out if they can import just a motor.
Honestly, I think it'd probably a lot more *possible* if we somehow dropped a QR25DE from the current SE-R, or maybe even the VQ35DE in the new Altima. V6 might fit better into the engine bay than the I6 Skyline motor.:smoke:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Actually RB series motors with RB25DET RWD transmissions can be had for cheap. You can get an RB25DET w/ tranny for $4000 and an RB26DETT w/tranny for $8000. I know some places where you could probably get them for cheaper.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Dshaft96 said:
Actually RB series motors with RB25DET RWD transmissions can be had for cheap. You can get an RB25DET w/ tranny for $4000 and an RB26DETT w/tranny for $8000. I know some places where you could probably get them for cheaper.

$4000 is cheap for you? We can get full SR20DETs dropped into our cars, with some mods, labor covered and everything for that much. $4000 is just an engine/trans, and twice that for RB26DETTs, which won't even drop into our cars without serious work. And supposing it does, such a cheap motor might even have some serious problems with it...etc. Most Skyline GT-Rs I know of in the USA have serious maintenance issues, such as the ATTESSA not working or the engine just being in really shoddy shape. Wait...what was the original question?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was just replying to you saying that you've never heard of anyone buying a Skyline motor and not an entire Skyline. No $4000 isn't cheap, but if you're talking about something crazy like trying to put one in a G20 then $4000 isn't much compared to what the rest of the project would cost. I wasn't saying that anyone should even consider this, just putting some info out. I have seen RB series engines in 240s.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
For the money it'd cost to have this motor in a P10 chassis, why not just go to Motorex and buy yourself a really nice R32. =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like the first reply, you still have the VE to choose as a simple drop in, besides the DET.

I don't know about the 2000, but I've heard of a RB26DETT being in a 240sx, it's probaby a pain to put in. However, if you have the money, then have at it! When you get a high output engine like that, there are a bunch of other things that will have to be taken care of as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts