Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SR Gurus...

Here's my situation I finally got my MT clutch removed, since I am already there I decided to do a check on my REAR Main OIL SEAL, the seal looks good but the left retainer side is damped with oil.

Here are my questions:

1. If I am going the remove the retainer ASSY, how hard is this?, what equivalent liguid sealant I need to get?, how hard is the installation for oil seal?

2. Do I need to drain my engine oil?

3. Say I removed the retainer shall I install the oil seal while the retainer is not attached to the engine? or it's better the to install the retainer first to the engine and then install the oil seal?

Here's the pic....

thanks....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That oil leak is most leaky not from the rear main seal at all but from the distributor or valve cover, check and see if there is a trail leading into the the tranny wear the engine block and tranny meet together, now if you washed your engine bay and fixed those uses at some point the evidence may not be there but that oil came from above at some point.

P.S. You don't need to remove the retainer I usually pierce the retained with a small flat head screwdriver and pulling it out that way making careful not to gouge the sealing surface.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
If u have the motor out. Do the main seal.. For how cheap they are it's not worth putting ur motor in and having it leak. Use Nissan parts tho the aftermarket ones are kinda eeeh quality Atleast the ones I've seen. I just pulled mine out with a screwdriver and on the new one I run a thin layer around the inside of the seal and push in with my fingers to install. If I have to tap it in, I use very light taps with a small hammer and something dull like a 1/4 in extension

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first pulled out the flywheel I don't see any leaks from the rubber seal, but there's oil on the retainer edges... there's no oil trails on top of the housing it's all clean and dry. I am checking again.

not really sure if I am going to remove the whole retainer.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
To reseal that retainer you have to remove the upper oil pan to do it properly.
If you want to half as it try to take the 2 studs out the bottom of it if you can. If you can you might be able to half ass it

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To reseal that retainer you have to remove the upper oil pan to do it properly.
If you want to half as it try to take the 2 studs out the bottom of it if you can. If you can you might be able to half ass it

Upper oil pan? from the FSM's diagram looks like it's simple. what i am planning is remove the retainer, remove old sealant, clean it and then put in brand new sealant, install rubber main seal, then lastly install the whole assembly.

Why do I need to remove the upper oil pan?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay Unisa and P10det,

Just got back & recheck my seal and retainer. here are the pics.

Left side: Do you guys it's think from the retainer side leaking?

Right side

Bottom: Now here's my question can I remove the retainer without removing the upper oil pan?

Here's a link from Nicoclub he removed the retainer but not sure which Nissan engine is this from.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/rear-main-seal-replacement.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.