Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some rust under the central post of my rear spoiler (between the spoiler and the truck surface). I want to fix that before it gets worst, and I need to get the spoiler off.
Looking at the FSM for the removal/installation procedure for the spoiler, I can see there is some double face adhesive tape on the sides.

Do I risk damaging the paint where the tape is by removing the spoiler? Is the tape residue hard to remove?

Is this double-face tape a specially shaped pre-cut part available at the dealer, or I can just get some tape and do it myself?

In the FSM there is a note saying: "With a vehicle coated with Hard Clear Coat, use double-faced 3M adhesive tape Product No. 421 or equivalent, after priming with 3M primer Product No. N-200 or C-100 or equivalent."

How do a I know if my car is coated with Hard Clear Coat?
My car is a silver 99t.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mattb said:
To fix rust properly the trunk lid will need to be repainted as part of the repair.

I'll repaint whatever is required.
I just need some comments from someone who has pulled the spoiler off before.

Carl

·
Registered
130 Posts
if youre repainting whatever is required, dont worry about damaging the paint pulling the tape off.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
could someone that has removed the spoiler on a usdm p11 tell me how to do the sticky tape part? should i just use some fishing line or what? I havent removed the carpet on the truck lid yet but im sure the center one is easy as well as the other 2 outside ones.I just dont want to mess the spoiler or car up.HELP!

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
I got a WW spoiler im going to put on. As far as the paint work Im not even sure if im going to rock this spoiler or not, I may go back to stock. in the minimum i will take off the stock,test fit the WW one,then pour on the kh3 and cover the center hole with a very thin sheet of carbon fiber.(better than tape IMHO) The paint on the car looks good still so Im trying to buy time knowing it will look like crap in a year or two.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just remove the three nuts off of the studs - the two outside ones are under the large flat rubber plugs in the trunk lid.

Once the bolts are off, close the lid and pull up on either side to "pop" the two ends out of their plastic holders. It takes some force so don't freak about it.

Once you have it off, touch up the bare paint spots and grab some 3M #06382 Attachment Tape - but you only need about 4 inches of it if they'll hook you up with some at a local body shop.

Once the bolts are removed, if the forward corners are still stuck to the trunk lid, the fishing line or string is a good idea to cut through the bond - it is likely that it won't be a problem though.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
cool man.....yeah off goes the spoiler tomorrow. thanks ODB

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
the spoiler is off.....the deck is waxed.thanks guys. yeah it took some force to pop it out....not too much though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts