Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a scrap SR20DE engine from a scrap yard this week and was wondering about how difficult it is to rebuild one. I am also getting my DET this summer so I want to learn about doing the front and rear seals in the engine as well as bearings.

1) How hard is it to take apart the SR20DE with a FSM and the supplement?

2) Is it expensive to complete a basic rebuild in my own garage with air tools and an engine stand?

3) Do I need special parts to clean my internals(i.e. parts washer to clean pistons valves etc.)??


thanx stewart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
I am buying a scrap SR20DE engine from a scrap yard this week and was wondering about how difficult it is to rebuild one. I am also getting my DET this summer so I want to learn about doing the front and rear seals in the engine as well as bearings.

1) How hard is it to take apart the SR20DE with a FSM and the supplement?

2) Is it expensive to complete a basic rebuild in my own garage with air tools and an engine stand?

3) Do I need special parts to clean my internals(i.e. parts washer to clean pistons valves etc.)??
Go here: http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/beast-toc.htm

1) It's easy. It's also pretty easy to put back together. Just have patience.

2) It depends upon how basic a rebuild you are doing. Expect to pay about $1,500 in parts and services (minimum) to do a good rebuild. It can by done cheaper, but if you're going through the effort, why cut corners?

3) I bought a parts washer for my rebuild and never used it. One problem is where to get the solvent, and more importantly, where to dispose of it. I bought some Berryman's carb cleaner for my rebuild and it worked great. They sell a gallon can with a metal basket for cleaning parts. Works like a charm. It fit most things I needed to clean. I used the spray carb cleaner and shop rags for most everything else. I buy Berryman's carb cleaner by the case now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,383 Posts
George: Ill be in the same boat this summer, what about special tools??? You know, the ones not ordinarily in your (well, my) tool box...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Yahnozha said:
George: Ill be in the same boat this summer, what about special tools??? You know, the ones not ordinarily in your (well, my) tool box...
Nope. Just a decent set of hand tools. You'll need a hex socket for the head bolts, but otherwise basic hand tools and a set of feeler gauges. Really.

Oh, and patience. Have patience. When we lose that we tend to do stupid things.
 

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOWh

Geo said:


Nope. Just a decent set of hand tools. You'll need a hex socket for the head bolts, but otherwise basic hand tools and a set of feeler gauges. Really.

Oh, and patience. Have patience. When we lose that we tend to do stupid things.

I think i just dropped some hershey squirts in my pants. I cannot believe the detail that you went through doing that article. Now Im pretty mad that I dont have the december issue :evil:

YOU ARE BY FAR THE MAN. ALL HAIL KING GEORGE!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Re: WOWh

GTA_G20 said:
Now Im pretty mad that I dont have the december issue :evil:
Actually, you can order back issues from their website. =)
 

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ima order one this weekend. You are the man!

All HAIL KING GEORGE!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Hey George...I have also read your beast build up couple times now....I took your word and I only took apart the EGR system and fuel rail and waiting on a FSM of some sort to disassemble the head and block. My engine has beens sitting in the garage forever...man I think I will never finish...but I am taking my time and do things right...I don't want to mess up my investment...plus its my first motor too....
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
So Tony, am I to read your post as, you're keeping the car and rebuilding your old SR20?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
I'm not sure yet...I still need to tear apart the motor and see how much its going to cost...if its too much then I'm just going to sell the motor..and leave my car as is...which is stock now..
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
Good luck. I hope everything is in order for you to do a rebuild. =)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top