Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Add a Turbocharger

Votes: 15 57.7%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
list your most successful performance upgrades and your recommendations.. im looking to add some horsepower, but not spend hundreds on single digit gains..

Im looking into exhaust manifolds, cold air intakes, flywheels, and ecu mods.. but wanted to hear success/problem stories beforehand..

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
I have a 9lb flywheel for sale, very good experience with it, also have S4 cams, best bang for the buck imho (+12whp ish at peak).

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86736

Pulleys are also good (hard to find though), cai (hard to find), SSAC header (ebay), any 2.5 mandrel bent cat back will do.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Save your pennies and turbo it. Nothing else will make your car feel fast.

If you had a p10 then I would say full bolt ons because you can can probably get about 180 crank horsepower and that would feel pretty good in a 2600 lbs car. But even if you could get your p11 up to 180crank hp it would still be kinda sluggish.

Those cams won't work in your car and I don't know about the flywheel. I think it will though. If your paying someone to install a flywheel then I wouldn't consider it a good bang for the buck. Labor is expensive for a flywheel job. Just wait until you need a new clutch to get a new flywheel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You're going to get flamed for asking this without searching, since there's a huge Sticky that lists nearly all power mods and what to expect of them. My favorites have been advancing my timing (free), and a header and cat back ($150 for the header and $255 for the Cat-back). The CAI was underwhelming, but I realized that for it to do any good the car would benefit from better exhaust and an ECU tune. Without a tune or without going through and upgrading all components related to the engine's breathing...you are going to get only temporary gains that the ECU will compensate for in some other way. Mine is an OBD1 P10, so that's less true for me than for you. Basically, a turbo-swap would probably be your best option.

·
6,285 Posts
Save your pennies and turbo it. Nothing else will make your car feel fast.

If you had a p10 then I would say full bolt ons because you can can probably get about 180 crank horsepower and that would feel pretty good in a 2600 lbs car. But even if you could get your p11 up to 180crank hp it would still be kinda sluggish.

Those cams won't work in your car and I don't know about the flywheel. I think it will though. If your paying someone to install a flywheel then I wouldn't consider it a good bang for the buck. Labor is expensive for a flywheel job. Just wait until you need a new clutch to get a new flywheel.
haha good call, i didnt even look to see what year he had. the flywheel i listed will work, the cams wont

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but there are cams available for the p11, i just wanted to know if it was something to look into. Me and a friend of mine swapped the cams and the exhaust and added a SCT chip to his 99 ford mustang, and he got decent power gains, but all cars preform different and there is a big difference between a V6 and an I4.. especially when it comes to exhaust..

·
6,285 Posts
yeah cams are a great mod.

everything you listed is a good mod.

instead of posting hey is this a good thing to do post what you use the car for and what your realistic budget is, and also if you will be doing the work or if someone else will.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're going to get flamed for asking this without searching, since there's a huge Sticky that lists nearly all power mods and what to expect of them. My favorites have been advancing my timing (free), and a header and cat back ($150 for the header and $255 for the Cat-back). The CAI was underwhelming, but I realized that for it to do any good the car would benefit from better exhaust and an ECU tune. Without a tune or without going through and upgrading all components related to the engine's breathing...you are going to get only temporary gains that the ECU will compensate for in some other way. Mine is an OBD1 P10, so that's less true for me than for you. Basically, a turbo-swap would probably be your best option.
yea, i know, and i did do the search beforehand, but what i really wanted to know was how everyone that has installed various mods has liked them, not just that they added a flywheel or a cold air intake, but did they actually gain anything from it.. and was it worth the cost

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
I spent thousands on my 240. I did exhaust, intake, gutted cat, short shifter, etc. I bought all brand new stuff top of the line and even had some stuff imported from japan. The car felt quick but was still slower then my buddy who threw together a junkyard turbo kit.

So my next car I said "I'm doing nothing but turbo". Well that's what I did to my G and I never regretted it. I even kept the stock injectors, exhaust, and MAF. It cost quite a bit but was worth every penny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah cams are a great mod.

everything you listed is a good mod.

instead of posting hey is this a good thing to do post what you use the car for and what your realistic budget is, and also if you will be doing the work or if someone else will.
well i use the car as a daily driver, but i would enjoy a little extra power because i do play with it sometimes.. and as for a budget, i would say around 1000 to start with, but if i decide to Turbo it i could save a bit more..

but for the money i would spend on a turbo, would it be better spent on a few things. rather than just one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spent thousands on my 240. I did exhaust, intake, gutted cat, short shifter, etc. I bought all brand new stuff top of the line and even had some stuff imported from japan. The car felt quick but was still slower then my buddy who threw together a junkyard turbo kit.

So my next car I said "I'm doing nothing but turbo". Well that's what I did to my G and I never regretted it. I even kept the stock injectors, exhaust, and MAF. It cost quite a bit but was worth every penny.
Thanks, that was what i was looking for.. what did it cost you overall?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And 95.. i would do some of the easier things myself.. intake, exhaust etc..

but if i went for a turbo, i would have to take it to a shop.. i don't have know-how to risk messing up a turbo install haha

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
under 5k. I did no work myself and bought all brand new parts. So don't let my number scare you. If you have another car to drive in the meantime and can do the work yourself you could do it for about $2500 I would assume.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, in that case, ill probably need to befriend and feed my savings account for a couple months, but if its the best option i cant complain

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
^if you want you can just lighten the stock flywheel...it shouldnt cost much maybe 40$. might as well put in a new clutch while your in there. i would think a good shop would charge about 700-800$ to do the whole thing new clutch and lighten the flywheel.otherwise aftermarket ones go for 300$ around maybe cheaper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts