Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After years of reattaching the bumper cover every time someone drove it too close to a curb, parking lot bumpstop, or low spot in the yard, I’m looking to make some repairs.

I’m going to use some white plastic and epoxy to sandwich the torn tabs on the bumper cover, then redrill the holes. I’m also trying to replace missing and worn out fasteners. That part may be more difficult because Nissan is customarily closed-mouth about things like diameters and thread counts and the actual part numbers don’t all appear to be readily available from the parts sites. Our local Infiniti dealer’s phone numbers are disconnected so they may be closed down.

I’m going to post pictures to see if anyone can assist with sizes or identification. I’ll also post the repair steps in case anyone is curious.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So, before I get too far into this process, these are some shots from beneath the bumper.

Top left is a threaded post that was attached to nothing. Is this supposed to attach to a brace for the lower edge of the bumper cover? If so, I’ll have to figure out how to fabricate something because there is none.

Top right is a bracket of some sort. I’m not sure what it is.

The lower three shots are of a series of nine unequally-sized holes on the bottom of the bumper itself. I’m sure they all have a purpose, but I can’t explain them all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step one of the repair was to cut a template for the plastic pieces I will use to repair the torn side tabs where the bumper cover attaches to the fenders. A thin piece of card stock served nicely.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next, I needed to find some plastic that could be cut to size easily but that would be hard enough to survive the repair and reassembly process. With the COVID-19 response in full swing, I settled on some white “unbreakable” Leviton single electrical box covers. I traced the outline from my template on and used a Dremel cutoff wheel to trim it to shape. Because the drivers side also was missing part of the plastic, I cut two wedges to stack and fill that gap. I’m trying super glue first, but if that won’t hold up, I’ll grab some epoxy to reattach it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great idea. Mine are like that too. I tried using a washer big enough to help pinch em together, but it didn't last long I need a new bumper cover anyway as it came damaged and also last month some a hole in a lil yota truck backed into me and dented the heck out of the side by the rear running light. But I'm definitely doing this for now. Wrecking yard out here has two g20's but one was damaged and the other looked a lil different (didn't know if it'd match up.) So, I am just dealing with it right now. Good luck, have fun, and thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the bumper on mine catch on end of driveway and completely came off (02 G20). Looked for a bumper and cost more than car is worth. Determined, I used QBOND (available on Amazon for less than 20 bucks) and washers to rebuild the plastic. Have had it on for 6 months and holding up perfectly. This stuff is amazing.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts