Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any alarms systems with remote start that will work on a manual transmission car?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have the CompuStar 2WFMR system and it has a "RESERVATION MODE" for Manual Transmission cars. What this means is, you put the system into "RESERVATION MODE" before leaving your car - this will leave the transmission gear in neutral position when you leave your car.

·
Registered
424 Posts
atomic-G, you got a remote start/alarm system for an MT on an AT? Hmmm.......

Does the OEM immobilizer still works?

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Only 2000+ have the Nissan/Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System, also known as NVIS or IVIS.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a 99', so I don't have the IVIS. Also, I have an AT - but the system works for MT transmission cars as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
b-b00gie said:
Only 2000+ have the Nissan/Infiniti Vehicle Immobilizer System, also known as NVIS or IVIS.
Brian, do you know if the NVIS/IVIS will be disable if a new remote start/alarm system is installed? Does anyone know?

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
I wouldnt install the remote start on a 2000+ because it will bypass the immobilizer.

What most places do is cut the teeth off a spare key, and the remainder is put in this little black box which will transmit the frequency to the key cylinder. Its mounted in your steering column.

When you signal for remote start, the code will be sent to the ECU just as if there was a key in the cylinder.

The down side is that it makes "hot wiring" your car possible.

·
Registered
424 Posts
aaaaaaah...NOTE TO SELF - Don't get remote start/alarm system...Yaaaayy no spending there LOL

Thanks for the insights:bandit:

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My system actually has just that, the black box.

The black box has a key in it and acts as a transmitter. The key wasn't cut in my case though.

I don't leave my car parked in one spot for a long period of time, that is one step I take to ensure that I don't fall victim to a break in.

I always have the LCD screen on, showing me the activities that are happening around my car. The remote starter feature I don't think I would use, since I really don't need it - plus the fact that I don't drive in the Winter, so it's not really something that's important. The other features are great on the system and I don't regret getting it, especially now with the sound system in my car.

I believe, if a thief knows his shit, he can bypass any security system and get into any car. G20's aren't worth the value of Lexus SUV's, BMW's, Mercedes and so forth, so our cars are not much of a target in my opinion. Before someone can hot-wire my car, I'll be right there to kick his ass :)

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
atomic-G said:
My system actually has just that, the black box.

The black box has a key in it and acts as a transmitter. The key wasn't cut in my case though.

Why? 99's dont have the immobilizer. There is no code in your key.. no need to have it there.

Right now the key to your car is IN your car. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
424 Posts
b-b00gie said:
Oh I would definately upgrade the alarm!! ;)

alarm system? I've always considered it but it is at the back end on the priority list :) I've thought of the remote start but knowing that it will leave it as a bait for theft and with this immobilizer bypass...not too fond of the idea after all!

·
Registered
201 Posts
can i get remote start and leave the factory alarm? i have a 93.5. if so what brands are recommended and is the install hard?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Yes you can get the autostart and keep your factory alarm. I have the audiovox version in my P10, and it works good.:rambo:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Does anyone know about the Clifford, cause I went a while ago to install one and they told me at Infiniti that the alarm will mess up the car. The guy I know at Infiniti has told me that he had a few G's come in that wont start because they have the Clifford alarm on them, I was wondering if anyone knows why this happens, and if there is a another way around it so I can have an alarm and not a crappy one.. Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
my friend asian mike has a remot start/ alarm system on his MT civic, he got it at a place her in atlanta called sound sensation, it cost him $320 for it and installation, I think all they did was make the switch under the clutch constanly depressed so u can just start it w/o the clutch being down, I dunno what kind it is but it rox, i'll ask him today

1 - 19 of 19 Posts