Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so, as I'd posted in an earlier thread, my G got hit on new years and the driver's rear quarter got crunched pretty good. My 92 has a perfectly fine one, but I'm not quite sure how to go about removing it, as it's welded on. Anyone have experience removing one from a G? My friend has a plasma cutter that I could borrow, but that miiiiight be overkill. I just want to keep it for whenever I decide to get the car painted, then I can have it swapped on by the body shop, instead of having them work all the dents out of my current one.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
cut it off with a die grinder, and cut off WAY more than you need. Someone with a hell of alot of welding skill can take it from there, but it will definately be more expensive to have this done than almost any amount of bondo... Outside of weight savings, i would not recommend bothering with it... Any body shop thats willing to take on that task is surely competent with a hammer and fiberglass!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Seeing the pics, it'll probably be easier/cheaper to replace the quarterpanel than trying to straiten that mess out. plus it'll come out better than bondo. First thing is to get an estimate from a shop. You'll be saving a ton since you already have the parts.

There's spot welds everywhere, in the trunk, wheel well, door jamb, etc. You need to drill those out, then use an air chisel to separate the sheet metal. If you take a plasma cutter and go at it, you may not cut enough off to be usable.

Your best bet would be to take the used car to the bodyshop and have them Remove and Replace the quarter panel. That way the bodyman can remove what he needs and won't be cursing your hack job... You can still play with your friends plasma cutter, cut off about a foot into the door jamb, (or any natural break in the sheet metal), then up and past the drip tray in the roof, ...basically cut off 1/4th of the car, interior metal and all. or have a junk yard cut the car for you, they're experienced in cutting quarter's off for body shops...

let me know if you need more details, etc.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a few shops in mind here to do the work, and like everyone has suggested, I guess I'll go there first and see what they tell me. I might just end up taking the car to the bodyshop like LoSt suggested, hell maybe I can trade it for some of the work being done. I need to figure out something within the next few months, don't want a junky car in my yard forever. Thanks for the help :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts