Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or more specifically, removing lower intake manifold from head in order to get head off block....AAAAARGHHHH!!!!!1!1!!!!!

I think it would almost be easier to just drop the motor out. The firewall side and passenger side of the engine bay have absolutely no room to work. I'm at wits' end. It probably doesn't help that I have a roughly 10 piece toolkit. I've had to turn into MacGyver. I wish there were like 50 Gnetters in Boise like there are in NorCal. Anyone wanna make a roadtrip to help me with my DET swap? Anyone? Huh?

*cricket*

p.s. for those that are wondering why I'm even bothering with the the head/block situation, I've got a blown headgasket and bad water pump in my current DE. So I'm trying to see if I've got a cracked head or block before I'm positive that I'll be swapping a DET in. If everything's still good, I might just fix it and keep my current motor. But thinking about putting it all back together again just to get the same 140hp makes me nauseous. So I'll probably part it out. Anyone with a highport motor want a lowport intake cam? Guaranteed 8whp loss immediately upon install!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
yeah its a pain i did it to change the knock sensor tell me where ur stuck i might be able to help

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gomd3 said:
yeah its a pain i did it to change the knock sensor tell me where ur stuck i might be able to help
I just can't get to the 4-5 bolts under the pipes on the manifold flange. It's a bit different layout than yours though, since I've got a lowport. The pipes curl up to the collecter instead of down. I'm sure you had similar issues though, just in reverse. I think I'm just gonna drop the motor. Gotta rent a hoist this weekend and enlist a friend or two to help with manuvering it.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stoney78 said:
We barely reached some of the bolts with a pipe wrench between the runners. Extension were too thick. Could try that otherwise just drop the engine if you can find the resourses to do that.
Yup, I'm having the same problem with the extensions. I may as well just drop it out, since I'm going to eventually anyway. But I think there are a few more electrical harnesses beneath the intake manifold and along that side of the engine that will need to be disconnected and I can't reach. So I'm not sure what to do there...I really don't want to miss a harness and rip something out while lowering the motor.

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are a few ground screws in the manifold and a couple of sensor wires (knock sensor is a real PITA).

My P11 manifold even had some support brackets. Those were harder to remove than the actual manifold. IIRC the main harness is hung with plastic clips.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got the ground screws off and all the connectors off the sides of the manifold, but the ones down below on the firewall side are the ones I can't get to until I get the mani off.

Yeah the big wishbone shaped support bracket is gonna be a pain to get off. I cant get a good angle on the lower two bolts, as the axle is in the way.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
weird on my highport I just used an extension 12" with a 12mm deep socket wrench... worked great, on some of the other ones I had to use a standard 12mm socket but all came off rather easy, just make sure you have a good angle on it...

·
Registered
212 Posts
make sure your hood is removed from the car. drop the crossmember. jack with a piece of wood on the upper oil pan. unbolt drivers and passenger side motor mounts. jack up the motor. and bam easy access.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.