Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just removed the pinstripes from my p11 and now i see there is an indentation where the old pinstripes used to be. the paint is still there, but it looks like a coat of clear coating is missing where the pinstripes were.. any idea how much it will cost to just goto a body shop and have them apply dark grey pinstripes (my car is silver)? or i can just have them fill in that blank with some good clear coat. which would be cheaper? im ok with having pinstripes again..i would just use dark grey instead of the black that it came with stock. please reply with estimated pricing also,.

oh and this is on both sides of the car,.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have no idea what pinstripes are, but it depends on the bodyshop you're going to and how long it will take for them to do the work. Different places will charge different amounts of prices for the mixing of the paint.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts

a pinstripe is that black stripe along the top half of the car starting from the front fender across the doors and ends at back side panel is just a sticker line stay on the car like a sticker but stronger adhesive

now what you probably have cleanman is like residue from the pinstipes like gummy looking but looks like the paint area under where the stripe was is faded what you can do is try cleaning it with goo gone but what i did was put a tiny bit of laquer thinner on a towel and cleaned it off like new not too muc to damage your paint just enough to take it off
casual

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naa i dont think you get it. i believe this is what happend. you start off with a car with straight metal right? ok then they put primer then paint...this is where i think then they put the pinstripes...THEN they clearcoated ONTOP of the pinstripes, thus when i remove the pinstripes, i also remove the strip of clear coat as well...now i need to fill that up with new pinstripes or clear coat.....prices and sensibility?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well ...I removed my pinstripes without a problem. Yes of course where the pinstripe WAS looked dull. All I did was use some mother's prewax cleaner and buffed it back to a gorgeous luster. I had no problems so I doubt you should considering my pinstripes been on for 3 years until recently.

The way dealers do pinstriping is when they get the car. For cheap cars it's just a sticker (on cheap cars - yes the G20), other cars actually PAINT it on, if you look some Infiniti's will say "Paint Works by: Jeff" on the back cuz that is the company that paints it on.

Here's a before picture with my pinstripe (UGLY):

Here's an after picture (a lot cleaner!):

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jensen, i think your clearcoat was left untouched. i think that when you say it was duller, the ''dull'' was the adhesive of the pinstripe. on my g20 also it was duller, so i took some goo gone on a rag and cleaned up the adhesive. after, i took a polish that came with my civic when we bought it brand new and then i polished the area the pinstripe was on to protect the area. even after all this, the indentation is still there. i am positive that there is no clear coat on the area that the pinstripes were on... help!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
wow dude that totally sucks...I'd say the cheapest would be to have the dealer throw a new pinstripe on it...or try and get the same that came with the car. good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn...thats what i was thinking. any ideas on how much the dealer would charge? im thinking they will overprice since they are the dealer and everything. :-\

·
Registered
140 Posts
hey clean I work in a body shop, and for people that just walk in and ant pin stripes done we charge like around $90. But you don't know anyone that can do that for ya? I have done it before...Good luck with it hope that helps...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts