Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so the A/C is useless to me.

What if I get a bypass belt and remove the A/C compressor entirely? Will I have any difficulties after?

Where is the A/C compressor located, anyway? I know it's somewhere beside the alternator but can someone give me a visual?

·
Registered
404 Posts
u can get a visual if you find download the FSM from http://www.phatg20.net/ i think its in there somewhere.
its located on the passenger side near the front of the car. people have bypassed the belt with no problem and they didnt have to remove the A/C compressor. I dont know if you'll have difficulties if you remove it. if you do a search on here you should come up with some stuff cuz i have done some searches on here since i recently had issues with mine. i just got it replaced though.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I did it a while back...and my alternator crapped out on me rather prematurely. it could have been for the fact that it was a reman but im not sure. i talked to a couple mechanics and they said the failure might have been due to the fact the alternator was spinning faster than it should have with a shorter belt. but there is no way to tell for sure. just my .02

·
Registered
462 Posts
You realize A/C in the Sr20de engine of G20s is an expensive option in most countries?
So there are thousands of this exact engine around the world are working with smaller belt.
Well in that case I say those mechanics are full of shit! The number of times your Alt turns is in axact proportion to the number of times crankshaft pully turns. This has nothing to do with a/c compressor in the way. If anything having a/c running should put more load on alt than not having it!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes.
You can remove the A/C without putting any additional strain on the rest of the engine. The only interfaces are the belt to the compressor, engine harness socket & the pipe work in the condenser and the passenger cabin. Simply replace the belt with a shorter one that by-passes the A/C compressor and remove the harness connection and the A/C will cease to function. It can then be removed at your leisure.

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,558 Posts
jasezero said:
I did it a while back...and my alternator crapped out on me rather prematurely. it could have been for the fact that it was a reman but im not sure. i talked to a couple mechanics and they said the failure might have been due to the fact the alternator was spinning faster than it should have with a shorter belt. but there is no way to tell for sure. just my .02
I think maybe you should keep an eye out for a better mechanic. There is no way removing the A/C can make the alternator spin faster unless you changed the alt. or crank pulley. Any mechanic should know that. A shorter belt cannot change pulley ratios, which is what it would take to change the alt. rpm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna jump on the "those mechanics suck" bandwagon. The A/C compressor is very easy to get to from under the car. First off, make sure you dispose of the refrigerant left in your lines properly. Loosen your belt and take it off using the belt tensioner on your alternator, take out the plastic piece connected between your bumper and your engine on the passenger side of your car (I don't know what it's called, but it protects your engine from getting hit with rocks, dirt, and other nasty things), disconnect the wiring harness and refrigerant lines, and unbolt the thing. Then, put the new belt on, tighten it up, and replace the plastic piece. All in all, it shouldn't take longer than an hour to an hour and a half.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Does anyone know the a Bypass Belt number? I took my a/c compressor out today because it locked up and snapped the belt so I decided to see if I could bypass the compressor for now....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Full-Time Chiller . . . .
6,285 Posts
SSCrono53 said:
Does anyone know the a Bypass Belt number? I took my a/c compressor out today because it locked up and snapped the belt so I decided to see if I could bypass the compressor for now....Any help would be greatly appreciated.
+1, mine's comin off this summer and I forgot the part # for the new belt. I already took out the ac condenser under the dash and never got around to takin off the compressor . . . .

·
looking for a can opener
2,399 Posts
resurrection for a belt#

nm found the list after more searching

325K6= 32.5", K (rib size), 6 ribs.
Gates: K060325
Goodyear: 4060325
Dayco: 5060325

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
im 99% sure you can use the same belt that the power steering/water pump run off of. and i know its a 4 rib, but you dont need 6 ribs to spin a alternator by itself. the 4 rib is alot easier to get on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I tried using a 6 rib 325 and it was too short. Now I have to go to autozone on my moped....

·
Registered
20,852 Posts
Just go the parts store and tell them you have a 1991 sentra 2L with no AC.

I got the 4rib sentra belt, it works fine. There is less load so you don't need as wide a belt.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I removed my A/C, but put it back in a few months later. This is what I experienced:

car cranks faster, and from around 2nd gear you'll pull up to speed faster ..but, it will seem like there is a slight bit of slippage. When you reach a higher speed, it'll seem like you're in a sort of overdrive, possibly from a mis-matched timing. Mind you, if you have a 5 spd, you'll find your shifts to be rougher.

A mechanic/engineer yelled at me for taking the compressor out, he told me that the A/C compressor was Engineered to be there; it aids traction on the belt.....i came to later find out that he was right after reinstalling the a/c. Just like i find my (drop box) to provide a richer mixture to provide optimal combustion, resulting in improved power...that A/C compressor is doing its part, despite it being inop.
bottom line----------- they say if it "ain't broke, don't fix it" i understand your A/C doesn't work......regardless keep the traction on your belt and allow smoother shifting, keep it there, you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts