Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some reading over on sr20forums and saw this thread on how to do an oil change:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=145699

And he was mentioning replacing the crush washer for every oil change. It's part number: 11026-01M02. I've been doing oil changes forever, and haven't ever heard of this :zoinks: You learn something new everyday...

Never had a problem with leaking oil or anything, just wondering if everyone is replacing these every oil change!

here's the only thread I found here on gnet:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37419

·
Registered
973 Posts
This is why I got a magnetic drain plug. There is a washer on there. If you add up all the crush rings you would need to pay for, then you can justify a top dollar oil drain plug off ebay.

Oh well, I'm not a baller so that's the way I think.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I have never replaced the washer and have never had any leaks. If you overtighten the drain plug then you will distort the washer eventually. If it is not leaking, then there is no reason to replace it.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I always replace them....

One time I went to the dealer and I told the guy I needed a really large part:

"An oil drain plug gasket"

He laughed and gave me 4 of them for free. I just paid for the OEM filter.

I don't know if they're really necessary, but it just feels well done.

Demon

·
Registered
906 Posts
Some dealers have the crush ring, some just have the solid copper washer. If I can get the crush ring, I use them but otherwise I"ll just reuse the solid ones.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I've never replaced any of those in any car I've owned. I even have a bunch of them that courtesy and mossy etc have sent me. I just never think about it until I'm already under the car and by then I don't car enough to go get one. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
merlin said:
I was doing some reading over on sr20forums and saw this thread on how to do an oil change:

http://www.sr20forum.com/showthread.php?t=145699
That is the goofiest thread ever.. ;)

Toyota also makes a good (cheaper..) drain plug gasket. They are made out of reinforced crush type gasket material and they seal %100. Did I mention they are cheap? <$.25/pc IIRC you guys should check them out.

Mike

·
Registered
973 Posts
I never had any leaks FYI when reusing the washer in the past.

·
Registered
233 Posts
merlin said:
/\/\ yeah, definitely wasn't a cost issue, I just didn't know about 'em. I just talked to the dealer they want $1.79 a piece...sounds like time to just order a bunch from everythingg20 depending on shipping
They were like half that price for my old car.

Try asking Nissan instead of the luxury Infiniti brand?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Unless you have no clue how to unscrew and screw a plug back in without damaging it, well go a head and change it everytime. Otherwise once every couple of years should be more than enough. Manual suggest that so customer pay the 2 dollars extra, dealer would not be sued for leaking engine as a resulf of bad plug, which would run out of oil on people who would not bother to check their oil level once in between oil changes. See everybody go home happy and nissan well, few extra million dollars a year richer!

·
Internet Mechanic
2,256 Posts
justin threw a few in with my last oil filter order, but I left my solid one in place, and yes i know this thread is a few months old

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
paNX2K&SE-R said:
I've never replaced any of those in any car I've owned. I even have a bunch of them that courtesy and mossy etc have sent me. I just never think about it until I'm already under the car and by then I don't car enough to go get one. :)
+1

NEVER changed mines at all. hahah. Never had a problem :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts