Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could not pass smog this afternoon due to a missing/broken timing pointer. The smog tech was not able to read the timing markings without the pointer. Is it possible to replace the pointer only or the entire engine timing cover? Pls help. My smog is due very soon.

I appreciate any info.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree. The guy said he can't read the timing therefore cannot pass smog.

Has anyone ever replaced just the pointer? It's attached to the timing cover and sits on top of the crankshaft pulley.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wow that's weird to fail smog for that. Hmm if nothing else, it's just a rod looks pressed in. Wonder if you could simply thread a small stud in its place? Might be good enough to get through inspection or does it have to be the factory part too?

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
Paint a yellow are white dot on the nub.
If he can't read it it's a personal problem at that point.

Their are some cars that don't even have that. Like the I think ls v8s.
I don't think they have a key way on the crank pully and no pully markings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temp fix - Why not try to file down the broken stud so that it is flat and superglue a nail on it?
This is my plan:
I'm thinking of doing something similar but i need to find out the size of the pointer and measure how far it sticks out. So I bought a used cover with pointer intact to use as reference. I'm thinking of using a sleeve or tubing (hi temp) that will act as an adapter between the broken pointer stub and a modified pointer (could be nail or whatever is available that is the same diameter). Then attached them together with JB Weld glue.

I don't want to replace the entire cover. I also don't want to remove the belts or drop the engine a bit to gain full access of the pointer. I'll post my results when I pass the smog. I'm still waiting for my used cover to arrive. It wasn't easy locating one with the timing pointer intact. Most of them were missing or have broken pointer as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.