Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told that resetting the ECU will give increased performance if bought used and if the previous driver drove conservatively. he told me by resetting the ecu the computer will have to re learn the driving style of the driver. Is this true?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
TheWoo said:
i was told that resetting the ECU will give increased performance if bought used and if the previous driver drove conservatively. he told me by resetting the ecu the computer will have to re learn the driving style of the driver. Is this true?
Yes and no.
Yes, resetting the ECU means that the computer will have to relearn everything.
No, it won't give increased performance.
;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
hhhmmm if you are going to be using a higher octane petrol resetting the ecu may give u some performance increase... i just did mine casue im now running 98 octane petrol in my Primera :cool:

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
damnnnnnn they sell 98 on the street where you live here in us max is 93 at local gas stations
casual
does anyone really know what the ecu relearns exactly when its been reset?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Neil82 said:
hhhmmm if you are going to be using a higher octane petrol resetting the ecu may give u some performance increase...
Only if your enigne was pinging/knocking/detonating on the lower octane.

cas8_1999 said:
damnnnnnn they sell 98 on the street where you live here in us max is 93 at local gas stations
Actually, Sunoco sells 94 in some areas of the US and there are even places that sell "race gas" that is 100 octane. I put race gas in quotes because it will not pass tech at a lot of venues if they sample fuel. A bunch of karting friends got caught out by that.

Lastly, that is 98 research octane. Probably about 91 octane in the US. US octane is (r+m)/2.

r = research octane number
m = motor octane number

Research octane is always a higher number (for pump gas anyway).

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've heard that you can go to airports sometimes and buy aircraft fuel, which is apparently much higher octane than normal gasoline. For a while I was considering driving my fathers old 1973 Grand Am, and it would require super high octane fuel to run decently, because it's a 6.5 Liter V8.

Of course, you can ALSO buy octane booster, which will increase the octane of fuel you have in the gastank.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Xard said:
I've heard that you can go to airports sometimes and buy aircraft fuel, which is apparently much higher octane than normal gasoline. For a while I was considering driving my fathers old 1973 Grand Am, and it would require super high octane fuel to run decently, because it's a 6.5 Liter V8.

Of course, you can ALSO buy octane booster, which will increase the octane of fuel you have in the gastank.

That's an old hot rodder trick. Don't do it. Aircraft fuel is formulated much differently. Aircraft operate in a much different environment and have different requirements. Just buy race fuel if you need it. High octane will do nothing for you if you don't need it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was just saying that I've heard that you could get very high octane fuel there, not to use it in our cars.

Personally, I think its funny when people think that running higher octane is better for your car or whatever, esp. when it doesn't recommend it. Unless you have a car designed for high octane fuel, or you change things something (eg: advancing your timing) adding octane WILL decrease your power, because the fuel is taking too long to burn to give good power.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
so on p11 where is the ecu and what button to reset? should i just go search on the forum ? or can someone answer
casual
i also need to reset to get rid of this flashing air bag light

·
Registered
48 Posts
To reset the ECU simply disconnect the battery for a 30 mins! oh and adding 98 octane OPTIMAX does improve the performance of your car and cleans the engine as well! if you don't beleive me i will scan in the results of EVO magazine that proves it! they tested a civic type R a jag XJR supercharged and BMW Z3 and all show performance improvements over the shitty 95 octane the standard unleaded has over here and also cleans the shite out of the engine!

:alien:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
95_g20_P10 said:
if you ad performance parts you should reset your ECU and you will see a diff once reset
Nah. You may. You may not. It all depends upon how far away the currently learned adjustments are from the base settings. More likely than not it won't make a difference or the current learning is closer.

95_g20_P10 said:
the best thig would be to go to a mechanic and have them do it. they use some special machine that they hook up to it and it resets it the best. also it very quick and easy
I'm not 100% sure about a P11, but the FSM should have a description of how to do it yourself. The P10, B13, and B14 FSMs do.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Him Geo. Him smart. Him learning me lots of things. Him learn-ed me good. Him learning me new things every day.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
so just veryfying this to be sure to reset we can just disconect battery for 30 mins and it will be reset?

now the thing is we have an answer (sort of)

but what is it exactly that the comp learns about the driver or the mods does it check how hard i press on brakes to adjust to my style of braking or etc.. u get what i'm saying

so since the comp has these capabilities what are its limitations and if it can relearn the mods then why do we have to send it to JWT after some mods for increased power
what is it that JWT does to the comp do they program it with some machine or do they install a chip in there or do they just take out some microchip for rev limiter and etc.............

...i think you get my drift
thank you very much for the past replies if you dont feel like replying please postt where we can read about this

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
95_g20_P10 said:
even when i just added my intake i noticed my idle was a bit to high, i got the ecu rest when i got my Greddy put and i noticed a cleaner idle and quick, higher revs
Higher revs huh? So resetting the ECU raises the rev limit? :/

cas8_1999 said:
so just veryfying this to be sure to reset we can just disconect battery for 30 mins and it will be reset?

now the thing is we have an answer (sort of)

but what is it exactly that the comp learns about the driver or the mods does it check how hard i press on brakes to adjust to my style of braking or etc.. u get what i'm saying

so since the comp has these capabilities what are its limitations and if it can relearn the mods then why do we have to send it to JWT after some mods for increased power
what is it that JWT does to the comp do they program it with some machine or do they install a chip in there or do they just take out some microchip for rev limiter and etc.............

...i think you get my drift
thank you very much for the past replies if you dont feel like replying please postt where we can read about this
The ECU will read the O2 sensor(s) and other sensors trying to optimize the fuel/air ratio over the range of the map. They are relatively small changes.

You do not have to send the ECU to JWT when you install mods. The ECU will still know the amount of air mass entering the engine and will adjust fuel and spark according to a variety of things.

JWT will adjust the base maps. The learning function (alpha) still works. It does not undo what JWT does however. They can do a number of other things including changing the rev limit and doing some things to stabilize the idle with large cams, etc.

The Nissan ECU does not come with a socket for a replaceable chip. JWT unsolders the old chip, solders in a socket, programs a new chip, installs it, and thoroughly tests it before sending it out.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
cas8_1999 said:
There are different facts to look at when doing this. The information gathered from various threads when resetting an ECU is as follows:

If you have an OBD-I ECU ('91-'93), you should be able to reset it by following the simple procedure of disconnecting the battery for a set amount of time. Actually, many have just done it right before they go in for the night and let it sit overnight.

If you have an OBD-II ECU('94-'96 and '99+ / possibly some '93/5's), it is recommended that you follow the proper procedure and reset the ECU at the screw on the ECU itself. There is memory stored in the ECU that will not be erased simply by disconnecting the battery for a set time.

Personally, I always feel more satisfied knowing that I reset my ECU correctly. I following the procedure on my old '91 NX2000 and I also followed the procedure on my curren G20 after I completed all of the mods listed in my sig.

More:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1992&highlight=reset+ecu

1 - 20 of 24 Posts