Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wonderin if anyone has had any problems with changing rims sizes from 15 in the p10 to 17 aftermarket like the tire scrubbing the wheel walls. and should i change the struts and springs on my car before i put rims on my car:evil:

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're not going to have any problem going up to 17" wheels as long as you get a lower profile tire (205-40-17) You don't have to lower the car with the new wheels but it will definatally make a big difference in the looks of the car. I'd lower about 1.25-1.7 depending on your preference.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G20max said:
i was wonderin if anyone has had any problems with changing rims sizes from 15 in the p10 to 17 aftermarket like the tire scrubbing the wheel walls. and should i change the struts and springs on my car before i put rims on my car:evil:
Actually, your stock wheels should be 14" wheels. With the proper offset, and the correct size tire you could fit 17's lowered, or not lowered, it shouldn't matter. Quite a few people have 17's on their car, I believe most are running a 205-40-17, i've heard of a couple 215s, but i think you may have issues with that wide of a tire.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I just put on some enkie 17s and my passenger side rear rubs like a *^%$#. I had to go with 215/40 because the 205/40 left a lot of space between the edge of the rim and the tire. I may just need new shocks though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
get 17's. If you want your car to look its best, no lower than 17's.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I actually switch between my 16's and 17's. The 17's look better but it weighs more than the 16's. I only only put the 16's on whenever I want to roll on something else. I say go with the 17's!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ultra light weight rims

I personally like bigger rims for a look; however, they make the car to launch slow. I have 15 inch rims right now and I love them. If you choose 17 inch rims, get the ultra light weight rims such as Axis Se7en or Volk Racing TE or LE 37s.

·
Registered
98 Posts
imho...

The 17's are a bit of overkill not to mention the fact that you'd have to become a pot-hole expert on your local roads!! The 16's look great and if you get a set that gives you a slightly wider tire your handling performance will be greatly improved! To occomodate the wider tire you should go with a slightly smaller diameter. In my case I went from a 195-65-14 (stock) to a 205-45-16 (bout .8" smaller diameter than stock) vs. 205-50-16 (bout the same diameter as stock). The difference means bout 3% error in speedo and odo but the "no rub" insurance and handling makes it all worth while.... G20's have awsome cornering abilities with the right set up....

peas. :crosseyed

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Sir-C said:
I just put on some enkie 17s and my passenger side rear rubs like a *^%$#. I had to go with 215/40 because the 205/40 left a lot of space between the edge of the rim and the tire. I may just need new shocks though.
I feel you bro:-\. Ever since I put 205/55R15s on mine, they been rubbing over even the slightest bump. I hope that someone at the Texas Rally on April 20 will be able to figure out what's wrong. I'll email you and tell you what they find.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mr-ryte....

Those 205/55/15's are wider than stock.... you should have gone with 205/50/15's (slightly smaller diameter) should keep the clearance in check... essentially you have the same diameter tire but the 205's add .5-.7" width (rubbage source I'm guessing)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: Mr-ryte....

upshot said:
Those 205/55/15's are wider than stock.... you should have gone with 205/50/15's (slightly smaller diameter) should keep the clearance in check... essentially you have the same diameter tire but the 205's add .5-.7" width (rubbage source I'm guessing)
Actually, the 205/55/15's are smaller in diameter than stock. And only the front passenger side rubs. I'm not too well knowlegded on suspension parts but I believe that it's more of an issue of a bent/worn suspension part than just a tire issue. The reason I feel that way is because the upper links have been changed on the car and not the lower links/control arms. When I take it to most of the shops, they just shrug and say"Maybe you need new shocks.":-\

·
Registered
98 Posts
re:Actually, the 205/55/15's are smaller in diameter than stock.

.1" smaller... thats a whopping 2.5 millimeters... I still say the width of the 205 is your problem, you have added bout .5" in WIDTH from stock - where do you expect that extra half inch to go?? Get 205/50/15's..... bit smaller in diameter to occomodate the extra half inch in width.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: re:Actually, the 205/55/15's are smaller in diameter than stock.

upshot said:
.1" smaller... thats a whopping 2.5 millimeters... I still say the width of the 205 is your problem, you have added bout .5" in WIDTH from stock - where do you expect that extra half inch to go?? Get 205/50/15's..... bit smaller in diameter to occomodate the extra half inch in width.
:depressed MAJOR BUMMER :depressed . I may have to do that if all else fails. But it still rubbed when I had 195/60-15's for a real brief time. Not as much, but enough to notice. :-\

·
Registered
98 Posts
195/60/15's adds .25" in diameter.... Same width tho... It doesn't seem like much but it shows how the design of the wheel well fits the tire/wheel like a glove... It's all kinda simple... If you ADD a bit of width then you have to subtract a bit of diameter / If you add diameter then you'll have to subtract width (bad for performance, good for fuel economy in this case :crosseyed )

That's why I'm telling you... 205/50/15's or 205/45/16's (for 16" rims) or 205/40/17's (for 17" rims) OR 205/35/18's (for 18" rims)

Anyone dissagree?? These tires are bout .5" wider and bout .5" smaller (in diameter to avoid rubbin') In my opinion once you get below a 45% profile (40,35,30!?!) your in pothole trouble land!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think that the guys who are having problems with tires rubbing has very little to do with the size/width of the tire and much more to do with the offset of the wheels you bought. If you get too much positive or negative offset, your tires will rub.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts