Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the car the rpm just go from 1k to 100 or so (up&down) ... At first I thought it was the cold but I had the chance to put the car in the garage for a night and It did the same thing! :(

After a few seconds it stops doing it...

Is it bad? Anything I can do?

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
This is a common problem with P10s. You just have a bad tachometer. If you get a tach from another cluster you can swap them out and have a working tach again.

EDIT: Come to think of it -- if you actually hear the revs changing, you may have a problem with the IACV setup.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that's more like it... But the thing is that it does not happen everytime I'm idled... only when I start the car for and for a few seconds... Also If I parked the car for 10 mins and start again it doesn't do it. And it's not the cold cause if I put the car in the garage for the night it does it anyway

thefultonhow said:
EDIT: Come to think of it -- if you actually hear the revs changing

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
IACV = Idle Air Control Valve. It regulates your idle speed depending on if the engine is cold or warmed up. I had a similar problem to yours on my Subaru (except it happened when the car was warmed up, not cold), and fixed it by running some Seafoam through the IAC. In your case it may just be easier to take the IACV out and clean it up a bit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yo i have a tach problem too.... my just jumps like a mofo...
0 all the way to the other end... doesnt stop jumping...
had it switched to a new tach and it still did the same thing...
totally clueless.....

could it be an ECU problem??????

·
Registered
430 Posts
ok it depend is the engine rving or just the tach moving. it could be anything on ford explorers the maf will cause it to rev up then sputter. on some toyota trucks th IAC or the o2 sesors will make it do the same thing. seems like we have different questions with different asnwers. but 96 g20t i do not believe its a bad ecu im thinking tune it up and check all the emissions control sensors.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm I'll do that :) Clean the IACV! Thanks for you help, I hope it will work :cool:

thefultonhow said:
IACV = Idle Air Control Valve. It regulates your idle speed depending on if the engine is cold or warmed up. I had a similar problem to yours on my Subaru (except it happened when the car was warmed up, not cold), and fixed it by running some Seafoam through the IAC. In your case it may just be easier to take the IACV out and clean it up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts