Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all early P10 owners (especially in the "salt" belt), were as your car started to show rust? My 95 still looks perfect but i would like to STOP rust before it even starts in the areas where the moisture gets trapped on the P10 body.
I was installing the mudflaps I got from Chris and noticed over an inch of dirt trapped behind the plastic fender liner. I hosed it all out from outside and inside ( you can spray from the opened drivers or passengers door through a little gap below the bottom door hinge). It looks like, left unattended, that this trapped dirt could hold enough mositure to cause this area to start rusting. Note to others, check this area on your P10.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Another area that seems to be more common than not to rust on the P10 G20 is under the door handles. I believe this only occurs on the '94-'96 chrome handled G20's. I have noticed over the last 2 or so years that when someone is selling, that is generally were they state that rust is appearing.

I really have not heard or seen any other areas that are prone to rust, except for those damn 10mm bolts that hold the front plastic under body panels in the place.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
front door hinges, rear rocker panels

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
more info...

GTA_G20 said:
front door hinges, rear rocker panels

rear rocker panels inside the door frame or on the bottom of the rocker panel?
On the DOOR or the BODY of the front hinge? Top hinge or bottom?

From the dirt I found on mine, I can see how enough could build up and start causing rust on the lower hinge area of the front doors, as well as, the bottom of the front fenders between the tire and the door.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Re: ..and

Chris said:
Open your trunk to inspect all the run-off area.. I noticed a chip of paint missing.. no rust yet but It could have easily been a cancer if I didn't use some touch up paint on that spot!

Yes, check here. Definitley rust prone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any ideas why these spots are the same on most cars?

Mine is rusting at both Rear door wells at rocker, and both front doors above top hinge, also at the Right fender seam below the trunk door lid.

Are there places where I can get inside the rockers and behind the front fenders to clean out the dirt?

I'm guessing that some of the drains are plugged. Any ideas where they are, and how to clean them out?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Rust Areas

Open the front doors....see that body seam between the hinges? Check it for rust. While you have the door open, check the inner bottom of it for rust.
*How to fix this rust, remove fenders, and have the rusty metal removed, and have it refilled, and repaint the outer part, and rerust proof that area.

Open the trunk, and check the inner bottom edge on the lid, and the water run-off areas on each side.
Open the hood, check the front leading edge. Mine has some small areas of rust in every place I just described, mainly because it came from Maryland new, and probably saw a few salty winters before it moved south.

Look under the spare tire, and in each inner quarter as well (mine does not have rust in these areas, but I have seen a few that do!!)
Remove the back seat cushion, and look under there as well, also, open the sunroof, if equipped and check around it.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Re: ..and

Chris said:
Open your trunk to inspect all the run-off area.. I noticed a chip of paint missing.. no rust yet but It could have easily been a cancer if I didn't use some touch up paint on that spot!
Yeah, my G had some rust on the bottom of the trunk lid when I bought it. Had it taken care of and repainted. A worthwhile $250 expenditure IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
rust spots

I live in Vermont, high salt use.
Areas of rust found so far on a 93.5 G20, run all 10 years in Vt
Both rocker panels, holes about the size of a quater eaten through in 3 or 4 spots on both sides. Also at the juncture of the rear doors and the rocker panel, towards the rear of the vehicle.

One large spot of rust broke through under the passenger side taillight, starting along the seam there.

Rear fender wells, where the 10mm bolts are used to attach the rear bumper.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Get it taken care of ASAP....mine had gotten pretty bad before I bought the car...when the body shop guy looked at it he said, "Ouch.". Mine was really bad, and now it looks perfect.

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
mattb said:
That's why I clean that area out whenever I wash my car...plus it makes it look better.
I do too. My mom thought I was wierd for vaccuming my engine compartment but she hasn't ever washed her car since it was new so I think she is the wierd one

1 - 16 of 16 Posts