Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So I bought another G20 about a year ago and it has rust in the strangest places. So I decided to remove the rust from some places and repaint the parts to protect them and give the car some longevity. For example, I took the upper radiator holder things, removed the rust, painted them, and replaced the rubber mounts. However when I replaced the alternator I removed all of the additional components, removed the rust and repainted them and / or put bearing grease on them so that they would keep rust off for a while. I repainted the belt adjusting bracket, adjustment screws, the long bolt that holds the alternator at the back to pivot and the nut, basically anything that could rust. The new alternator failed after less than a month (fortunately it was in warranty period) so I returned it. Any and all tests I could conduct revealed that it was not producing and voltage (I tested it at the battery, at the alternator, at the cig lighter, etc.,).

Therefore, my question (before I reinstall this next alternator) to anyone who would know is: Did the repainting and / or grease on the parts cause the alternator to fail? Or was the alternator itself likely to be faulty?

Thanks all for your help in advance!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only reason I was concerned that painting the parts and putting grease could ruin the alternator is because maybe it caused increased resistance for the alternator to ground to the engine (because I thought the engine itself is the grounding to the alternator). Because the connectors are the positive (battery connector) and the two little pin connector (which is to get the alternator going) and therefore perhaps the grounding of the alternator via bolting to the engine was not a good solid ground anymore?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.