·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is an s3 cam?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Jim Wolf Technologies' S3 camshaft grind. S is for Street Series, 3 is Third Iteration (that is the most appropriate word I could think of, sorry). There are "S" cams (no number) and S2s (second iteration) in the wild, you can also have an S4, but it's just a snitch wilder than the S3s and some people dont' like that. JWT also has the C or Competition Series, but you have to get better valvesprings and retainers to use them.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G-loads said:
Can this be a DIY? Any special tools?
I did it myself. You'll need some big ass wrenches...a 1" and 1-1/16th" wrench with a thin side profile. Motormaster wrenches from CT are too thick. Also JWT recommends making a 'chain block' which is also the method I'd also recommend. It's a pretty easy install if you've seen it done once. I'd suggest if you get them to get in contact with the SE-R guys in Toronto when they have a little mini meet. They can help with the install.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Yup. S3s for roller engines have been available since early Spring of this year. Beware, though, to be most effective on our engines, on really needs to invest in some dyno time and a set of adjustable cam sprockets.

·
Registered
424 Posts
G-Forces said:

I did it myself. You'll need some big ass wrenches...a 1" and 1-1/16th" wrench with a thin side profile. Motormaster wrenches from CT are too thick. Also JWT recommends making a 'chain block' which is also the method I'd also recommend. It's a pretty easy install if you've seen it done once. I'd suggest if you get them to get in contact with the SE-R guys in Toronto when they have a little mini meet. They can help with the install.
There are SE-R guys in Toronto who are on the SR20DEForum? Hmm...that's interesting.....yup, maybe I need to hook up with them to get it install.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
G-loads said:

There are SE-R guys in Toronto who are on the SR20DEForum? Hmm...that's interesting.....yup, maybe I need to hook up with them to get it install.
Actually most of them, including my self hang out on the, not so technical, but fun SE-R Club Canada list. :D

http://lists.deskmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/se-r-club-canada

Join up, you'll hear about all sorts of cool meetings and canadian specific events like rallies, auto-x, track days, etc.

Good list for all canada SR20DE owners.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Would I need to get cam sprockets for a 99 g-20?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
G20t-JBone said:
Would I need to get cam sprockets for a 99 g-20?
Not needed for your engine with the S3's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you know where we can find some Dyno charts with the different cams to see how they create torque and power over the RPM range? I am headed to JWT page now ... I am interested in the low end power gains (2500 - 4500) since almost all of my driving is in the city and I have an auto.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i wish i had a G purely for racing..... no daily driving... a p10 and it were RWD damn that would be hot, just a thought.....i would do all the highest level NA mods out there.....reduce the weight, just a thought :cheeky:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have had my S3 cams installed in my G20 since 2000. The JWT cam mod along with JWT ecu mod is by far the best engine mod you can buy for N/A engines or should I say non-turbo. I didn't install them but I had an experience sr20de pro install them for me @ RosenAutoSport in Richmond VA(They have gone out business recently). I never experienced any problems. My G's an automatic which is fine with me. The perfect sleeper mod. :cheeky:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts