Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to take the plunge. Honestly, is the S4 worth getting over the S3 considering the loss of hp lower in the rev range and the gain in the top end? Please post only if you've tried both cams. I've seen the dyno graphs put out by SCC and honestly, the graphs don't look significantly different. I'd need to use the seat-of-the-pantsometer to know for sure. SO, I'd like some first hand knowledge if possible.
-Tom

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
What other mods do you have done to your car?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Im using the S3's and havent ridden in a car with the S4's but, from what Ive read, unless your planning on getting a remapped ECU with the S4's plan on a pretty lopy idle. The S3's idle a little lopy but really good concidering the HP gains. I dont have a remapped ECU.

And like Justin asked what other mods do you have???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PRCAI, POP, Hotshot header, 19*, NGK plat 7 range. JWT ECU will be purchased regardless of which cam is bought. This is for a high port, btw. One other thing. I have a Hotshot cai on the way too. Any reason to swap out the PR unit for the HS?
-Tom

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
oversteerdawg said:
Any reason to swap out the PR unit for the HS?
Nope, they are pretty much the same thing, just depends what look you're going for as the PR unit is usually powdercoated and the HS is polished. It used to be whichever one was in stock at the time, now they are both more easily available.

As for the cams I'd recommend the s3's on your car for normal street use. The difference between the s3's and s4's really isn't beneficial unless you spend most all of your time at 7000+ which isn't practical on the street. If you go track racing a lot, or drag racing all the time then maybe look into the s4's as you'll have the ECU too, but if your car sees mostly street use the s3's as they are a better all around cam. The torque and slight hp loss down low was a little noticable with the S4's and that was even with the JWT ECU upgrade. I don't know if they've changed anything since, but i do remember the ecu had to do quite a bit more to compensate for the S4's to make it streetable as the idle with the S4's is noticeably worse than stock. With the ECU s3's are pretty much not noticeable at idle, the S4's still lope a little but the ECU fixes most of the issues and makes it streetable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts