Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, check this out - this is my life.

When I first set eyes on my next car (my 95 G20 I have now) at a local car dealership, I thought '... now here is a pretty phat ride. Kinda orginal, great Euro-styling and great performance potential and I love the Bright White with the Grey Interior look..'

I had been driving around my wifes 91 automatic civic for a while and anything with over 100hp felt fast. So, my first impressions were that I really liked the acceleration. Anyway, I take it home and I'm in love with it, but I notice some little things here and there. I knew that it came with 2 1/2" piping from the cat-back and headers, so the previous owner had played with it a bit. The clutch felt a little tough to press down, but I had never had a cable clutch and didn't know what to expect.

Well, after owning the car for about a week I go up to visit my cocky bro-in-law who says to me that his 87 CRX Si can take my G20. So, of course I accept the challenge. Well, we never found a stretch where we could just flat out go through 3rd in a straight line, but he was noticable pulling on me in 1st and 2nd and he did beat me to 60. Of course, this flat out pissed me off. After we stopped to talk about it, I blamed a slipping clutch for my poor effort. (The clutch was really slipping though, I would rev to 4500 and drop the clutch and the wheels didn't spin at all and the car launched like an automatic. Of course, going into 2nd wasn't any better.)

So, I get home, humbled and depressed, I look under the hood, hoping to find that a plug wire had came loose and I raced him with only 3-cyl firing. Well, I didn't find that, but what I did find was something that had nearly caused me to take a socket wrench that I had in my hand and put it through my garage walls.

Under a few wires and deep into the darkness, stamped on the engine block is the code SR18. "What the )#*(@?"

I thought it was a mistake. So I hop on the net and search everywhere, hoping that some G20 just had SR18 stamped on the block, but were in fact using a SR20 Head and (like a LS/GSR 'frankenstien' engine) was nothing to worry about. Well, no one I talked to ever had a straight answer and most didn't even know that an SR18 exsisted.

Well, FYI, SR18's exsist and in fact bolt right into a G20. The SR18 is the motor from an overseas version of a Primera 1.8 and in a Sentra model downunder (Aussie-land). I'm sure most of YOU knew this but I didn't have the foresight to check and the dumbass that had the car before me left me clues that the motor had in fact been running a primative Dry-manifold NOS setup (noticed a perfectly drilled hole in the rubber intake piping cover by a bike tire flat-fixing patch and the burnt of reminance of NOS cylanoids welded on the firewall) and may have been blown apart, causing this jackass to swap in a cheap 'working' motor.

Anyway, to make a long story longer, look for the engine code before buying any car. My car drives fine, but it runs out of power past the 6500 rpm mark and I have since lost races to a modded Hyundai Tiburon, Dodge Neon, Integra LS, 4dr Civic EX, and just about anything that races me that was built after 1992 and has a 5-speed in it. All this because I have a crappy 1.8L in my car and the clutch slips like a b*tch.

But, all hope is not lost, for I have found you guys! :) maybe, with a little $dough$ and a 'heart-transplant' (SR20DE JDM or SR20DET) I will love my G20 again. (Oh, and I just bought Leather Interior [power seats, woohoo!! no more aching wrist!] from a local junkyard.)

The love is back. (Thanks for listening) any help with finding a cheap COMPLETE SR20DE(or DET) swap would be very helpful!

:x <-- I'll shut up now

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dude, that's an SR20. I've had four of them and all of the blocks had those stampings. I've torn two of them completely down and can totally assure you they were/are SR20s.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Re: are you sure?

Chris said:
because sr18 sounds like 1.8 to me too? Where can I find this stamp on my engine? Is it something I can see from the top or bottom or only if the engine is out of the car?

Pop the hood, then look down where the trans meets the block. You will see the stamp.

Why does it say SR18 if it is a SR20?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Does your Valve cover have the Infiniti logo?? That's pretty nutty if you have a 1.8...but I agree with Geo though. :-\ I'll go look at mine in a bit...

The reason I don't think it's a 1.8 is that it's not an economical swap. A used SR20DE swap is the most economical. I highly doubt you can use the same computer on that engine. But then, anything's possible. Since the 1.8 was used in euro P10's and aussie Sentra's, where did he get that engine from? I don't think he'd import it with intentions of a cheap swap??

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Re: go figure...

Chris said:
maybe it is the same block but bored out larger to be a 2.0?

Actually, I think it's the stroke that is different, but yes, the same block.

Those who don't believe me, look below the t-stat housing and you will find the SR18 stamp.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mike.Com said:
Does your Valve cover have the Infiniti logo?? That's pretty nutty if you have a 1.8...but I agree with Geo though. :-\ I'll go look at mine in a bit...

The reason I don't think it's a 1.8 is that it's not an economical swap. A used SR20DE swap is the most economical. I highly doubt you can use the same computer on that engine. But then, anything's possible. Since the 1.8 was used in euro P10's and aussie Sentra's, where did he get that engine from? I don't think he'd import it with intentions of a cheap swap??

Its a common scam by engin importers. Run a search on sr20deforum.com and it was covered pretty well.

But the valve cover doesnt matter, since you can put a B18 VC on a B16.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
kbslacker said:

Its a common scam by engin importers. Run a search on sr20deforum.com and it was covered pretty well.

But the valve cover doesnt matter, since you can put a B18 VC on a B16.

Damn, that's pretty crazy. :paranoid:

Whew, mnine says SR20.

·
Registered
616 Posts
j3r3my-95 said:
... (Oh, and I just bought Leather Interior [power seats, woohoo!! no more aching wrist!] ...
How much time do you spend adjusting your seats?
:confused: I actually wish I had manual, 'cause it's one less thing to break.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts