Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I tripped my P11 into Safe Mode.
This weekend I was installing the wood grain trim into Kyras P10. I forgot to shut off the int lights so after 2 days the batt was dead. I swapped out the batt from the P11 to make sure and it fired right up, backed it outta the garage next to the P11 and put the dead batt back in the P10 and the good batt in the P11. Jumped em and all seems good. Both cars are running, jumper cables disconnected. I go to tighten down the neg cable on the P11 battery and all the sudden the motor bogs a bit and starts revving then dropping. I get in & shut it off then start it again and it seemed fine but have a ses light. I figure I'll leave the batt disconnected and maybe it'll go away or worst case I'll take it to my buddy and have him clear it. That was yesterday... :depressed

This morning I go to drop the kids off at school and go to work, I start the car, it's damn cold so I figure it just needs to warm up. I let it idle for 10 mins and then go check it out and nothing over 2500 rpms. I pulled it in the garage and am gonna let it idle tonight and get up to temp and see if it works it's way out. If not I guess I can crawl across town and have my friend clear the code, if it's in safe mode and he clears the code it should be fine. I havent been having any sypmtoms of MAF failure or anything, I have a 3" CAI with the Stillen pop charger on it. I dont have the plastic covers installed right now cause I'm getting in foglights so the intake is right there drawing a ton of air in. LMK what you guys think, am I heading in the right direction?

·
Registered
973 Posts
davew7 said:
I think I tripped my P11 into Safe Mode.
This weekend I was installing the wood grain trim into Kyras P10. I forgot to shut off the int lights so after 2 days the batt was dead. I swapped out the batt from the P11 to make sure and it fired right up, backed it outta the garage next to the P11 and put the dead batt back in the P10 and the good batt in the P11. Jumped em and all seems good. Both cars are running, jumper cables disconnected. I go to tighten down the neg cable on the P11 battery and all the sudden the motor bogs a bit and starts revving then dropping. I get in & shut it off then start it again and it seemed fine but have a ses light. I figure I'll leave the batt disconnected and maybe it'll go away or worst case I'll take it to my buddy and have him clear it. That was yesterday... :depressed

This morning I go to drop the kids off at school and go to work, I start the car, it's damn cold so I figure it just needs to warm up. I let it idle for 10 mins and then go check it out and nothing over 2500 rpms. I pulled it in the garage and am gonna let it idle tonight and get up to temp and see if it works it's way out. If not I guess I can crawl across town and have my friend clear the code, if it's in safe mode and he clears the code it should be fine. I havent been having any sypmtoms of MAF failure or anything, I have a 3" CAI with the Stillen pop charger on it. I dont have the plastic covers installed right now cause I'm getting in foglights so the intake is right there drawing a ton of air in. LMK what you guys think, am I heading in the right direction?
real fast my car won't rev over around 2500 with the maf disconnected....but you say no mass failure etc...check the maf connection?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I leave the P11 in the garage overnight so she can warm up. This am I start it in the garage, with the door open of course and let it war up for 15 mins. I get in and rev it up and she revs like normal. I'm thinking yay, have my friend clear the code and we're done. I figure I should zip down the road and back just to make sure. I get halfway down and kaput, back to sounding like someone put the choke on. I get back home and park back in the garage and we'll see.

Heres a thought, It is like 5 degrees, I have a 3" intake with a pop charger, I took out the fog light plastic covers because I'm getting foglights in soon so wide open spot directly in front of the intake. Could drawing in too much freezing cold air be causing this? It didnt do it before I took them out and this morning it was fine till I started driving and moving the cold air in towards the intake. :baffled: D

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
davew7 said:
Heres a thought, It is like 5 degrees, I have a 3" intake with a pop charger, I took out the fog light plastic covers because I'm getting foglights in soon so wide open spot directly in front of the intake. Could drawing in too much freezing cold air be causing this? It didnt do it before I took them out and this morning it was fine till I started driving and moving the cold air in towards the intake. :baffled: D
hmmm iv never heard of anything like that happening.
in fact my throttle response and acceleration picks up drastically
in cold weather (i only have s Stillen WAI though). but id say its
worth a try to throw your covers back on for the time being.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
have your freind check the code. Does sound like a maf problem. also i have seen one case of a altima maf going bad after an ecm reprogram i think the charger voltage was to high and burned the element.

if you can get me the o2 sencor voltages at wide open throtle at the time of the problem i can see what is going on.
If you know someone with a consult the code and freez fram data will tell me almost exactly what the problem is.

but try this clamp of your fuel return line then go for a ride and let me know what happens like is it fixed is it worse or a little better.?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I made it to the place to get the codes read.
It was snowing so I didnt look too crazy only driving 25 mph. The codes were.
P0100 MAF circuit malfunction
P0134 O2 sensor circuit no activity directed (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
I'm assuming that the O2 one is due to the MAF one. I tried resetting the ECU using the procedure here but mine is an 02 so it wouldnt work for me. Can I just buy the sensor for the maf and not the whole plastic housing? I'm gonna have to try & find that site Koojo found, he got one for around $90. :depressed

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well we at nissan only sell the sensor for that vehicle with out the housing.
I do have one from a 2.0 se that cuases a fuel system lean code but no drivability from it that i have seen.
Im sure their is a tsb for the o2 sencor. I know on the b15 i had to replace one with an updated part and do an ecm reprogram.
but if you want me to send you my spare maf you can have it free cuase im not sure how long it will last you. as it cuases a intermittan lean condition at highway speeds

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I wont be doing any hi-way driving with it, just around town.
I'm sure it would be fine for a week or so while waiting for a new sensor to come in. I'll pm you my address. How do I find out if there is a TSB? D

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
let me know your year of your cr and ill look for it. but work ecm part # that come up on consult read out will tell me wether their is a updated program for you. with out that i can't be 100% it aplys to your car

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
man i really hope you dont have to have the maf replaced!

i just had mine replaced at the dealer and ecu reprogram for more money than i would like to say.

·
on to the next one..
4,115 Posts
davew7 said:
I'm thinking I can just get the sensor portion and not the whole plastic thing.
yeah thats what i saying. i got the sensor portion and the reprogram from the dealer. there is a newer sensor that you need to reprogram the ecu at the same time.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Pauley or Bauley just bought a new MAF for around 90 USD from e-bay for his P11 . Same one as yours I think.
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56803&highlight=MAF
check post 27 and 28.
Also: did you look inside the MAF ? there might be water/moisture on the sensor, which will cause it to malfunction. I had something like that once during summer, while driving in heavy rain: a droplet or something must have made it to the MAF-sensor and caused safemode for 5 seconds, then it probably blew off and the car responded normal again. After that I put an Injen 'sock' over the AEM dry-filter and no more problems ever since. No CEL btw.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I went to look inside the maf. I go to take the plug off first and what do I see, the blue wire broken. Crimped it back together and shes revving just like normal. Must have broke the wire when I undid and moved the batt cable. My maf is close to the batta due to the CAI. All I can say right now is PHEWWW!!!!

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Good thing you opened it up.
This is the best news you could get b4 the weekend, right ?
Happy for ya !

·
Registered
430 Posts
for tsbs you can go to ondemand5.com pm me if i trust you i might be able to get you in without paying.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
well if local p11 owners needed update i would hook it up for beer. only take me like 5 min to set it up and then i just sit and wait for it to be complete than relean the idol and you are set

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4dollarg20 said:
for tsbs you can go to ondemand5.com pm me if i trust you i might be able to get you in without paying.
Well, I like to think I'm trustworthy. :teeth:
Not sure what else I could say other then ask others about me but dont listen to ugly cause he'll bad mouth me so he can try to hook up with Stacey. :p :p :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts