Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok for some time now, my G has screamed like a friggin banshee when i start it on cold mornings. i'm goin to buy a new starter to put on it, i'm just checking with you all to see if that should fix the problem or not

thanks,
--brett

·
ʎןןnɟ˙˙ǝdo&#6
2,773 Posts
So it only does this when you are first starting it? Starter squeal is my guess, and replacing the starter would fix that.

·
I Gots More NISMO Then U!
2,913 Posts
sure it's not your drive belt???? are they loose or cracked? The belts when under those conditions will make a bad noise like that.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
yeah, two culprits, the belts or the starter, My starter is some cheap off brand, squeals since I first installed it... really feel like switching it out.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
i dun think its the starter..its prolly a belt..u usually hear screeching due to belts..i never had screeches but when i changed my alternator it came up..tightenin it a bit stopped it..now my water pump is leakin a bit so when i start it every so often it screeches for a few..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's not the battery or the belts, all the belts are in fine condition and the battery is too. we believe it to be the starter, but i'll have to wait till later today to find out when i pull the starter off

·
Registered
252 Posts
This a typical problem with our starters. Mine has been doing that for nearly three years. You don't need to replace it unless it has problems starting.

Also, a new starter will fail as well eventually. Someone once mentioned some Mitsubishi starter is compatible and is better.
________
MFLB

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
junknstuff said:
would the starter squeal also contribute to crazy screaming-squeal when turning the wheel all the way counter clock wise?!
That is the power steering pump doing that. Most likely your belt is loose or glazed.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i'll either get me a Mitsubishi brand starter or Hitachi, i'm thinking Hitachi because i know for sure they make high quality parts

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is starter squeal you can grease up the planetary gears and it will be quiet. This is worth doing if you happen to have it out of the car. There is a chance you can lube it through a hole once removing a rubber thing without having to remove the starter from the vehicle.. Thank you and goodnight.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
my car was also squeeling when i started it up, i tightened my belts and it promptly stopped. it hasnt made any noise since.

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
its just the pulley in the motor bay spinning really fast on startup and the belt being a bit stiff from sitting there in the cold that it starts to go along the path again.. it was like that in a few cars i've had... you can tighten it sure but its not a big deal...

·
Registered
201 Posts
My car has been making a weird sound in the morning like that, and it's been getting progressively worse with it getting colder. To explain exactly how it sounds, it's the same sound that's made when you overcrank a car that's already running as if to start it again.

Is that similar to yours?

·
Registered
137 Posts
yup +1. i get the some noise with a cold start. its not the belts that more of a squealing noise. this sounds like you crank the car over when its already started. Its been doing it since i bought my car but never had a problem starting it. i actually changed my starter with a bosch and fixed it but it happened agian. i was thinking maybe the flywheel was bad but i work on an automatic one at work and the owner said his does the same. so maybe its the timing chain or something not to sure. but it startsup everytime so im at the point where it dosnt bother me anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts