Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

when my car has been sitting unused for more than 24 hours or so (which can be often, since i only work weekend mornings), i will start the car, and once it turns over there is a noticable screeching noise that maybe sounds like a belt. the noise only last for a few seconds until it "works" itself out.

just had the belts replaced, think its something in the actual engine? i sure hope not.

anyhow, if anyone knows what this may be, or thinks they do, please let me know.

maybe the car is just squealing in excitement because its so happy to see me?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine does the same thing, except I haven't had the belts replaced. I've noticed that mine does it more when it's damp/wet/humid out.
Mine takes about 10 secs to clear up. I've checked the tension and the condition of the belts, and all looks well.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Starter squeal. Well known to the SE-R community. Fairly uncommon to the NX and the G20. My SE-R did that for over 100k miles and only stopped when I pulled the engine (and I'm sure will do it again when I reinstall it =) ).

·
Registered
177 Posts
mine just started doing the same(92 g) I was suspecting a pulley because it did not sound like a belt squeal--I would have never suspected the starter--never heard of a starter screeching--is it hanging up and continuing to run after engine starts?

Does this mean I need to replace it before it leaves me stranded?

How much can a G starter cost?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Me too...But...

Mine makes that damn squelling noise, but when I'm driving. It's loud and annoying. It normally starts when I'm running at about 3000 RPM's and stop when I shift.

That's not the only time it does it though. I just had my engine flushed and oil changed this morning. While they were running the engine it was doing it. The guys at the shop said it's more than likely a loose belt, because it gets worst/louder as I accelerate. I just wanna see what the group thinks that way those fools can't pull a fast one on me.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
the isuzu rodeo does it too 97 and it screeches reallly loud but i figured it is the belt because it has too much slack in it.
casua

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
theres 2 different brands of starter for sr20s. one tends to squeal, the other does not. i think the good one is made by mitsubishi. i cant remember who makes the other one (im thinking hitachi or someone like that but im not sure). check se-r.net.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sounds like belts

I had screech like that for some time after I had new belts put on. I tried to tighten them but I couldn't wrench it tight enough to totally get rid of the noise.

I took it back to my mechanic and they tightened the belts and found that it was slipping on the alternator and I was losing amps going to my battery. I do have a spiral cell but eventually it would have gone dead.

Make sure those belts are nice and tight before you end up outta juice in some parking lot. my advice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts