Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Shifter knob removal - how???

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  slimlou 
#1 ·
I couldn't find anything in the search. I'd like to replace my shifter knob. How do I remove it? I haven't really looked at it too closely to see how I could. I guess I'm just trying to save myself a step or two by asking how it's done. Thanx!

#8 ·
as long as you dont care about the leather, take off the leather. you can get a much better grip on the rubber knob than the leather. i had a hard time while the leather was on and decided to say to hell with it. once the leather was off, i had the knob off in less than a minute

#9 ·
Make sure to try and hold onto the actual shifter as well. You don't want to be twisting the the whole assembly and have the lower bolt taking all the load. And yes, the knob is threaded on but Nissan also added some adhesive to ensure that it would just spin/loosen off over time. Line people said, if you wan to 'try' to save the oem leather knob, wrap it tightly with a towel. A little thicker the better. Then use a pair of channel locks to grip and turn. Again, while also trying to keep the actual shifter are from twisting. I wrapped my shift knob with a towel but I wasn't wrapped thick enough so I ended up tearing the leather along the stitches. Once you 'crack' the bond of the adhesive, you should be able to just spin it off by hand.

#10 ·
SERIOUSLY? They're glued and twisted on? Will I be in danger of breaking anything by twisting it off with vice grips? Thanx!

#11 ·
P-ten said:
SERIOUSLY? They're glued and twisted on? Will I be in danger of breaking anything by twisting it off with vice grips? Thanx!
It's not like they slathered a TON of glue all over the threads, probably more like a dab near the top. Like I said, once you 'crack/break' the bond of the adhesive, it'll just screw off. But Like I said, don't just twist on the knob to take it off, hold the shifter rod tightly with another pair of vice grips as well. Any maybe wrap a small piece of cloth around it too so you don't chew it up. Trust me, it's not as scary as it sounds.

#12 ·
also try driving your car for a bit to warm up the shifter assembly a bit so that it make it a little easier to twist off.

#13 ·
All i know is mine was screwed and glued on like it was gonig through world war three. I damn near smacked myself in the face with the vice grips trying to get it off. In the end i gave up. If you dont care about the shift knob then just get a hacksaw blade and go to town on it.

#14 ·
I used a pipe-wrench to take it off. I didn't wrap the knob but it left a little indent in the knob. But otherwise it only took 2 seconds to get it off. Maybe I'm lucky. :p

#18 ·
littledog said:
I used a pipe-wrench to take it off. I didn't wrap the knob but it left a little indent in the knob. But otherwise it only took 2 seconds to get it off. Maybe I'm lucky. :p
No damage other than a little indent? Then yup! You're a lucky one! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.