Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After purchasing my car in the summer, there was a sort of clunking sound coming from the rear passenger's side. I drove around for a while and didn't really worry about it but I started to wonder what could be making the sound. Then, when I needed an oil change anyway, I took it to a reputable mechanic and he said that the sound might be the rear shocks and maybe the upper mounts too. My question for you guys is it worth it to get GR2s from ebay, keep on going and just put the $ down for AGXs or find whatever off-brand OEM replacement there is. I don't really have many plans for my car, a decent exhaust, CAI, grounding kit. Nothing special as its going to be my DD for a while now. It seems as though the consensus among all the searches I've done is that for a DD, really GR2s are going to work just fine, and spending extra money would almost be a waste.

Other questions I have floating around about my suspension are, first of all, are GR2s happy with stock springs (don't want to drop it in pothole NY)? If I got GR2s, should I do all 4 corners at the same time or wait until the fronts start to go and then replace them when the time comes. Is there any other suspension, or even maintenance, items I should consider while the shocks and springs are off the car. (It has 180,000 but seems like the previous owners have cared for her). I know there is a lot of information I have just posted, but any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
the gr2s on ebay are the best deal out there hands down i believe. id get them if you dont plan on doing anything major to your car. we have them on the p10 which is lowered, theyre great

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
GR-2's are basically OEM replacements. I would do all 4 at the same time...thats just me though

If you arent doing aggressive driving Gr2's will be just fine...no need to get AGX's

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
thats not a very helpful statement, can you point me somewhere cheaper?

edit: damn ugly, how could you have posted that quicker than me!?

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
thats not a very helpful statement, can you point me somewhere cheaper?

edit: damn ugly, how could you have posted that quicker than me!?
Dude, im a post whore. WATCH OUT NOW!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah like $200 for 4 shipped seems like a pretty good deal to me. Is there anything else I should do while the car is slighlty disassembled?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
its recommended to do bushings too. while i never have, if youre having clunking going on, it may be a good idea. i before ANYTHING would jack the rear end up, take off the wheels, and poke around, shake things, jiggle everything, find out if anything is noticably loose or clunking just by hand. it could be anything. hell, it could be your spare tire bouncing over bumps :p
id get it up though and feel around, you may be able to fix it easy if you can find out what it is exactly.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
You can add GR-2's with the stock springs u already have, and you will be very happy. i had that setup on my first G, and was very satisfied. It was a high mileage G20 as well. Since you dont plan on dropping the car, there's no need for mep mounts.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
also, to check if your shocks are blown, pop your trunk, and start bouncing (by hand) your car up and down and get it going as best you can up and down by pushing it over and over again. when you let go it should come up, down then settle out for the most part. if it keeps bouncing quite a bit, you know your shocks arent doing their job ;)

·
Registered
130 Posts
ERIKbronx said:
The clunking, most likely is the rear sway bar bushings.. very common and cheap.

Should I get a poly-u ones? maybe thats where my clunking is coming from?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
05YellowEVO8 said:
Should I get a poly-u ones? maybe thats where my clunking is coming from?
Yea they have Energy suspension ones, but the exact fitments is a toss up between the two model numbers IIRC. If you replace them with stock ones, it will hold up for a few years just the same... Now stiffness is another thing. Im looking into getting the ES versions sometime soon. I gotta do a search to get the right part number for the ES info.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
its recommended to do bushings too. while i never have, if youre having clunking going on, it may be a good idea. i before ANYTHING would jack the rear end up, take off the wheels, and poke around, shake things, jiggle everything, find out if anything is noticably loose or clunking just by hand. it could be anything. hell, it could be your spare tire bouncing over bumps :p
id get it up though and feel around, you may be able to fix it easy if you can find out what it is exactly.
Funny story, we(my dad and I) did the poke and jiggle everything bit and we found that my RR caliper was loose, but only one bolt. Tighten that down, and it didn't make any change at all, but 2 bolts is better than 1. If you figure out what the ES part # is, let me know I might consider doing it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts