Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i was wondering what my options ae for a short shift kit...... ive been pondering making a investment into hot shot headers and cai, and well was wondering weather or not i should just have the short shift kit installes at the same time. well thanks for your help...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've heard very good things about the B&M unit, but it's pretty expensive. You may want to also look at the Pacesetter shifter, which is a direct clone of the (seemingly now-defunct) SMC adjustable. Don't forget the Energy Suspension bushing and some MT-90 trans fluid, too. ;)

On taking a second look, it seems that some vendors do have the B&M shifter for as low as $150 (Options Auto Salon), but you can also get the Pacesetter for under $100 (Summit Racing), some places even less (JCWhitney should have it, but you'll have to ask for the right part number).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you guys know how those two stack up with the Stillen? :asian:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compatability

hows the compatibility with the p10.....i drive a 95 g20 and well i see theres a kit for newer models but...? any help?
thanks....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nevermind

found everything i needed thank you... i will be installing the b&m upon arrival....thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The Stillen shifter, as I understand it, is nearly identical to the B&M in design if not pattern. It's about 30% more expensive, though. :p All transmissions bolted to SR20DEs (and some others) use the same shifter, so it doesn't matter if you have a P10, a B14, or even a U13, the shifter is the same.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Where can I find the Pacesetter shifter for a 96 P10? That on seems to be the easiest to slap on.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Summit Racing has them for $100, as I said above, but I'd call JC Whitney, too, as they have Pacesetter's other Nissan shifter for $60, but do not seem to list the right one for us in the online catalog. If you talk to the reps on the phone, tell them to look for the shifter for a '91 Sentra SE-R, a '91 NX2000, or a '95 200SX SE-R; a lot of companies don't realize that their parts fit G20s, too.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hey guys tell me if im wrong here but on my old g20 i cut the shifter itself the, metal pole, down a lot and when i stuck my shift knob back on it was shorter shiftin for me without the hassel of takin out and puttin a new one in. I know its kind of poor but it worked the same way and i think im gonna do it to my other g20t now. do u guys think this is a good idea to do again is all i want to know thanks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I don't think you're going to hurt anything, but you'll be missing out on the benefits of doing it right. In your case, you definitely want to upgrade your trans fluid and the shifter bushing.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
CowboyDren said:
I don't think you're going to hurt anything, but you'll be missing out on the benefits of doing it right. In your case, you definitely want to upgrade your trans fluid and the shifter bushing.
Cutting the top of the shifter does the same thing (from a mechanical and physics standpoint), sort of. It changes the fulcrum point of the level. Thus, whether you cut the top or extend the bottom, transmission fluid and bushing don't care.

While extending the bottom will add to effort, cutting the top will do it moreso for the same through simply due to the length of the lever. That is why a proper SS is a better idea.

Oh, and don't forget the one sold by Throttle Position Motorsports. I posted something about it a while back. It's way less expensive than anything that has been discussed here.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sorry; I was being unclear again. I meant that doing the bushing and the fluid would help because simply cutting the top does add effort. I've driven a few cars with cut shifters and a few cars with proper short shifters, and I refuse to cut mine from a comfort standpoint. If I cut my shifter, you can bet that everything else would be in the best order in which it could possibly be, which would have to include an ES bushing and some slick gear oil.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
FWIW, I only paid $55 including tax and everything for my pacesetter short shifter. I also didn't realize Throttle Position Motorsports was making a SS for the P10? That's cool! options are always a good thing =)

·
Registered
863 Posts
JustinP10 said:
FWIW, I only paid $55 including tax and everything for my pacesetter short shifter. I also didn't realize Throttle Position Motorsports was making a SS for the P10? That's cool! options are always a good thing =)
Justin, where did you buy it?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
RCer said:

Justin, where did you buy it?

I bought it from Versus Motorsports in Phoenix, Az. I told them about J.C. Whitney's pricing and they beat it =)

·
Registered
142 Posts
short shifters

I tried to order the Pacesetter unit from Summit a month ago, and I was told they were on permanent back order. So I went with the B&M. Just installed it the other day. It was kinda a bitch cause you have to get under the car(I recommend using ramps, jackstands are a pain). Other than that the install went quite well. The throws are really short now and the shifter feels a lot less rubbery than before. At first it was rather stiff, but it feels better everyday. The only drawback is that in fourth gear at around 45 mph, it makes a buzzing sound. I checked and there's nothing loose in there. I'm guessing it's one of the retaining clips that's doing it.

In any case, I would recommend this mod to anyone who enjoys the 5 speed and wants to shorten the throws and tighten up the shifter. :smoke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts