Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much research on Short shifters, I have searched the forum and came up with the Pace setter SS (because it is only $59). My question is, since they dont list our G20, and the only nissan that is listed is a 1986-1990 Sentra, Is that the same transmission, that is, will it fit?
I noticed the 1989-1994 Maxima has the same part number as well.:confused:
Any part numbers or suggestions would also be helpful.
Thanks.:knockout:

·
Registered
142 Posts
the pacesetter SS is no longer available, at least I was unable to find someone selling them. i know the shifter from the sentra and some maximas and altimas fit, but i'm not sure which years. I ended up getting the B&M SS, and it fit just fine--one gripe is that in fourth gear at around 4500 rpm it buzzes a little, no biggie but still bugs.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
I was thinking of getting the same set up Pasesetter short throw shifter but I was gonna add the es bushing because I heard it helps alot. where did you see it for $59. I believe anything that is front wheel drive uses the same setup since it doesn't actually go into the transmission. but the sentra should be the same. I would look for a newer one thought to be sure its the same.
ask the sr20de forum they would know for sure

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats the difference?

So here it is... Listed on the JC whitney website for $59 for the 89-94 maxima and the 86-90 sentra, also online at Summit Racing for $99, but also one for the Nissan: 1995-96 Maxima, 1991-93 NX1600/2000, 1991-98 Sentra/200SX, 1986-90 Stanza.
Im guessing these are both different shifters, since they have different part numbers?
Pacesetter also sells them on their website for $89, but they are also listed as two different part numbers.
Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
well I would rather pay extra than order from JC Whitney. I've had problems ordering form them and they also put me on a phone list and would'nt stop calling me no matter how many times I cursed them out. They also list different #'s every month so don't go by them. I'd heard that it's all the same so I would go with the 1991-98 Sentra/200SX since that would use the same settup as a 99 G. you could also try E-bay, and I know OBX makes one. Like I said I'll be doing this shortly so keep me posted.
thanks

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Arospeed SS????

Anybody know about this one? I found an Arospeed SS for the Sentra 95-00 and the 200SX 95-00 for $34.50 on
ebay Any thoughts? If there is not much difference between this one and the pacesetter, it might be the way to go!

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Pacesetter is adjustable. I don't think that one is. at least I did't see it mentioned. My shifter sux so I want the adjustable one so If I have to I can adjust it all the way down. I never heard of anyboy on the forums with anything other than pace setter, B&G, & smk. so I think anything else is unchartered.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Maybe its a stupid thing to ask or say since nobody is talking about it but what about the stillen shifter? I know it costs around 250$ and is it a complete different unit or a bite off from the other shifters?

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
we have alot of suggestions here so did anyone ever get this and wich one is the actusal one shown to work and how much from where?
thanks in advance
casual

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I think that both the Stillen and Pacesetter short shifters are knock offs of the SMC unit, although I'm not positive on the stillen one. The B&M shifter is a VERY nice unit, although it is a tad more expensive than the Pacesetter. It also comes with a nice metal shift knob. I bought a pacesetter through a local shop a while back and they had to order it through pacesetter (local to me) so it didn't take to long to come in. JC whitney i've heard bad things about as far as getting that shifter for the price advertised, although that was a while back, they may have improved since? Also, to anyone looking to install the SS, also install the ES bushing, it helps a LOT with tightening everything up and is very simple to install when everything is out of the way already.

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
bushings and all do you suggest getting this from a local import shop or is there a plce online to get both the bushings and the respomse i'm not too clear on
would you suggest the b&m since you say its a nice unit or the pacesetter or smc or stillen?
how much was the pacesetter when you bought it?
how much more was the b&m ?
how much and where to get the bushings?
should i go back and search again -i did search but each post had like 10 people suggesting all 4 brands and not saying wich one works the best or price and etc..

in your opinions wich is the best buy overall?
thank you for your responses
casual

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just to let yall know, I just bought the Pacesetter Short Shifter, Ill install it tomorrow, take pictures and such. On the instruction sheet that came with it the same part number (#01-0422) is for a 1991-96 Nissan Sentra, Maxima, or G20. I had to order the ES bushing separate, but the price for it was $59 I believe from www.autosupermart.com, but I wouldnt buy from them because it took like a month to get it. I ordered the ES bushings from courtesy nissan. They were like 12 bucks or something. Anyways, Ill see how things turn out tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
casual said:
bushings and all do you suggest getting this from a local import shop or is there a plce online to get both the bushings and the respomse i'm not too clear on
would you suggest the b&m since you say its a nice unit or the pacesetter or smc or stillen?
how much was the pacesetter when you bought it?
how much more was the b&m ?
how much and where to get the bushings?
should i go back and search again -i did search but each post had like 10 people suggesting all 4 brands and not saying wich one works the best or price and etc..

in your opinions wich is the best buy overall?
thank you for your responses
casual
You should be able to get the parts from either of the two places.
Online I'd look at suspension.com for ES bushings. The B&M is a very nice unit, but rather expensive (I believe it's around the $125-150 range). The pacesetter is also a nice unit, it's a knock off of the SMC shifter I believe. This one ranges from $55-100+. just from looks it looks like the B&M is a beefier unit, maybe stronger too, but i've never heard of any roughly $50 (plus tax) for my pacesetter SS. The best overall buy right now is the pacesetter if you can find it for the prices advertised ($60-80). If not the B&M is more expensive, but also a good short shifter to buy, it comes with the nice metal shift knob, so if you need a shift knob too that might be a way to justify some of the price difference, but bang for the buck the pacesetter is the best due to the extremely low cost (for an adjustable shifter). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
233 Posts
short throw

I just trimed about 4 in off my oem shifter you can use a die to re thread your shifter.workes great!Didnt cost me a dime.:asian:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Casual, I think the pacesetter is what ill get, also due to the cost. whats this with the bushes?? i just wanna make sure i get everything i need before its sent over to the UK.
The ES bushings go where the transmission connections to the linkage. This linkage goes to the bracket where the shifter sits. I just installed the Pacesetter last weekend, it was definitely worth it. The shifting isn't all sloppy anymore, its tight and the shift is very short. I guess it has a real "mechanical" feel to it now. I have it about 5 threads from the top adjustment, you can go even farther than that but the shifts would be extremely short. It aslo lowers the stick height about an inch depending on how far you adjust it. Here's what it looks like: Short Shifter

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Re: short throw

johnbrooke86 said:
I just trimed about 4 in off my oem shifter you can use a die to re thread your shifter.workes great!Didnt cost me a dime.:asian:
That is not a shorter throw that is a shorter shifter. That won't do a thing for you just make your shifts longer and your knob lower.

·
Registered
233 Posts
it shifts extreamely close together now.A huge diffrence.You have know idea what your talking about.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts