Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
^^^I wasnt putting college down at all, I was just saying that because someone doesnt go to college doesnt mean they cant handle it and that raising a family and having a strong marriage while maintaining a lucrative career can be just as challenging and rewarding. I got married at 23 and had a step daughter right away, my wife and I have 3 more kids as well. No college and she hasnt had to work a day in 11 yrs. College is great for some people and they need that but for me school was never easy but I happen to have a good network of people and my career allows a great income without having to have a degree. When those doctors that have the degree need to buy a house I'm one of the guys that help em. :smile: D

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well, NBA then. Prob not physically big enough yet for NFL in HS. Take Iverson and Motumbo. Both went to Georgetown, which is extremely hard to get into and very expensive (I'm sure they both had huge scholarships). Iverson quickly dropped out for the pros, Mutombo stayed the course and graduated. So who's smarter, wiser, further ahead, doing the most good for society, more evolved morally, etc.??

The topic strayed because the point was made (by a self-apparent superstar in the mortgage biz) that you can make a lot of money without necessarily going to college.

·
Questioning Answers
6,851 Posts
i didnt read any posts......i only red the tittle, i went to a tech schoool & i am payig 15,000 for it & it was bullshit!....im poor i thought th state would pay for some but the school didnt accept stae grants...& i also wasnt elgibale for any, so im left to pay for "cittone institute" (a.k.a licoln technical inst.) dont ever go there for computers its not worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Prob is that most kids don't look at the pricetag, just pick up the debt. There are great programs, lousy programs, talented students in crummy programs that are still gonna be great, and untalented students in great programs that aren't gonna amount to anything. But... If you got a talented student in a great program, the sky's the limit. I'd be the first to admit there is huge bullshit in college programs, even the best, but I loved being in college anyways.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
MrFancypants said:
Should I pay for MediCare when I dont use it?

Should I pay for Social Security when it will most likely be bankrupt by the time I retire?

Should you pay for car insurance when you havent been in any accidents, or had any tickets?

What if you have no kids... should you pay taxes to the local school board?

Just because you dont use something doesnt mean you dont contribute to the larger system for the benefit of others. It's the way our society works. Taxes suck, but it's that or anarchy.

- Greg -
Hot Damn Bro! ! ! +1 Case Closed! ! ! LOL

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Whether you agree with it or not, I just wanted to say thank you taxpayers for helping to fund my College.
I know I wouldn't be able to afford it other-wise. ....it is note-worthy that the company I work for had tuition assistance, so my reliance on the GI Bill is minimal ;)

I had a long response written up yesterday, but didn't post it, basically unless you're good at Sales or open your own company (and succeed), a degree opens MANY doors. Too many companies use having a BA as a filter to just get in the door. The jobs I'm looking at are in the 60K+ range, but I've got to finish my degree. Luckily I found a company where they pay good for technical experience (that I got in the Air Force) for now. Other wise I'd still be making around 20K a year painting cars.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
P10 WRC said:
How are you going to tell your kids to go to college if you yourself did not?
P10 WRC said:
simple actually.

my father never went to college. he went working right after highschool for fairchild and recieved his aeronautical engineering degree though them and has been working his ass off for 20 years. since dy 1 he's been drilling it into my head that I need college and h can show me by example. my Fathers a hard working man but he doesnt want me to bust my ass day in and day out like he does.

and I can see why people wouldnt want to pay for taxes that go to helping other people. that would take away from money you could plunder on yourself. I'm currently a fulltime worker/full time student. I pay cash per semester along with a staford student loan and financial aid from the state of NY. and to everyone who pays new york taxes Im thankful that you have provided me with a chance to get my engineering degree so one day I'll be able to provide a better life for my children

bettering the circle of life. that why we pay for others. some people may not use their education to the best of their ability but there are others who get their degree and use it to the fullest.

what the government should do is figure out a way to lower the ridiculous tuition rates of schools these days

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
in my state the lottery pays....so...thanks for gambling I suppose.

I bet some of you guys hate poor people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all, for those of you talking about the U.S. Constitution... I realize some of the topics in this thread have to do with the Constitution, but it has nothing to do with STATE-funded colleges. The federal government provides some of the loans I'm using to attend Ohio State University, but they have nothing to do with the fact that Ohio State costs me much less than Xavier University (a private school) would. The STATE of Ohio is the entity that makes Ohio STATE University less expensive.

Secondly, about the argument that secondary education should not be funded by state taxes because not everyone uses them. I disagree... why? Because everyone IS eligible to use them. There are so many programs funded by both state and federal goverments that NOT everyone is eligible to use. Someone chooses not to use them... so be it.

If you're going to stop funding colleges, why stop there? We should stop paying for high school for students over 16, as well. It's their choice to be at school. They don't legally have to be there. Why not make high school students (or their families) foot the ~$6,000-$7,000 yearly bill for their final two years of high school if they want a diploma?

·
♥
3,947 Posts
stupid poor people, and their empty wallets. its disgusts me. :throwup:

:smile:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #73 (Edited)
Thank you for the thoughtful responses. ;)

What, some ask, is the difference between funding high schools & funding colleges???

It's a NIGHT & DAY difference! :eek: (listen closely :shhh: :shhh: )

-A high school diploma is something EVERYBODY should have.

-A college diploma should be just for a PORTION of society.

Frankly, right now, TOO many kids are being steered to universities. We also have a severe shortage of skilled, hands-on craftsmen (for some reason, many in society like to look down on skilled people who MAKE THINGS HAPPEN, and yet are overly enamored with those who point to the degree(s) hanging on their wall, regardless of what they've accomplished)

I'm 100% in favor of subsidizing BASIC education for all. I'm NOT in favor of transferring $$ from those who choose one career path over another (which is what public funding of 4-year colleges is effectively doing.) ;)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
The problem I see is that you are measuring "success" with the wrong stick. You don't measure success with money.

I think a service person that sells infinti's, even if they make a fortune, are not necessarily successful as opposed to someone who is trying to help our society as a whole. Being an environmentalist, a journalist, educator, whatever, etc etc.

I'm not trying to say that skilled people are not necessary. Even if we paid taxes, if there was no one to drop the asphalt, we would still have no roads. But my point is that success and money are not dependant of each other.

Same with the taxes, by paying them one has the opportunity to go to school, whether you use it or not, is your choice.

Demon

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends on a lot of factors. I honestly think that it should happen. Students nowadays don't have the resources to pay for their college. We need to think about some sorts of tuition for them. Maybe paperratter reviews at review will be a great help for them in the short run. But we need to think about the long run,.

·
Registered
420 Posts
99 out of 100 people wont remember shit they learned from school. But paying all those tuitions forr the 1 who cured cancer with a high p.h diet, not medicine? Knowledge is not about how much shit you know or cram into your brain. Reworded From the great author Uncle Fester. Knowledge is not about what or how much you know, but how to find the right information you need, And HOW to use this information when you find it. But this is the world we live in. And most havent even learned to clean their own ass. Or read a fucking analog clock. You can't teach common sense either. I was trolling a few doctor forums when i found out i had a b-12 deficiency. All were talking about the side effects and what it can do. There was only 1 that said why talk about the effects. Why do we not try to find what is causing the deficiency. And it ended there. Sadly most with money not smarts is what is our doctors today and they use an app with your symptoms and pick the most fitting illness for your disease.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts