1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Same. Also, it's a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am going to say VE because of all the reasons the other guys stated but dont take our opinion...do what you want...if you are looking for that sweet ass BOV sound then DET but if you want the reliablity and fun of a nissan vtech car then VE all the way baby

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Neither is going to work well with an auto unless you beef the auto up. Stock G20 auto transmissions are good for around 155 whp, which both a DET and a VE will surpass. You will need to either significantly beef up your transmission or do a swap -- neither will be easy.

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
very very controversial decision. im suprised no one asked him what his main driving would be...

there are turbo 'gurus' on sr20forum who will choose turbo, even for dd, because they are more familiar with it and are able to diagnos and fix whatever happens, if it happens, so to them it would probably be a cost/time factor.

personally, after riding in a couple of p11s and experiencing how damn heavy they are, and after hearing evilyak complain how the t25 only makes a tad of a difference, i would say go t28+ if youre turboing.

but i will vote VE, because then it'll make the car a true primera at 'heart' :scared: :teeth:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
well I am glad I am doing the tranny swap now because over the summer I plan on.................wait for it..............engine swap baby yeah. But I have heard many different numbers for the stock transmissions especially the auto...some say 155 and others say closer to 200 either way you should beef up the auto or swap in the five speed

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
well if your looking to do your swap and stick to an auto,
i suggest you talk to enohand. he's been in the process of working
out what is necessary to beef up the tranny with level 10 i believe.

but id say go VE+T :lol:
but im guessing thats not an option...
so im goin put my vote down for VE

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
siberianbackstabber said:
refering to voting...who voted DET but didnt leave their opinion...damn them; tell us why
thank you backstabber

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I won't say this one is better than the other. What I'll say is that it doesn't matter if it a DD or not, just do it right the first time either it's a VE or a DET.

I had a DET with a GT28 for about 4 years, it was my only car at the time and I go to the track a lot -did I say a lot-, never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
VE or DET, which ever you prefer, I would go VE, i like the nissan VTech type technology, the engine i think is emissions safe so no worries there and you can always gor VE+T in the future, just swap out that tranny to a 5speed of beef up that auto....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Sr20de02 said:
VE or DET, which ever you prefer, I would go VE, i like the nissan VTech type technology, the engine i think is emissions safe so no worries there and you can always gor VE+T in the future, just swap out that tranny to a 5speed of beef up that auto....
VE does not come with the emission control, but I am DET bias becaase i love boost it is like no other feeling.

with boost you can get more power for the money. but i think it comes down to how much power you looking for and if you prefer MA to FI(forced induction)

i did the NA thing and i spend a lot of doe for a mere 30-50hp, then i went boost and i was up 150hp and even more with the tright tune and setup, totally streetable for my daily driver as well as snow :)

So i voted got DET but evaluted what you want and do a pros and cons and run with it

trini

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
That is the one thing about DET. With VE you are pretty much at the 180-200whp range for good. Want more power in a DET? Turn up the boost.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
CarloSR said:
I won't say this one is better than the other. What I'll say is that it doesn't matter if it a DD or not, just do it right the first time either it's a VE or a DET.

I had a DET with a GT28 for about 4 years, it was my only car at the time and I go to the track a lot -did I say a lot-, never had any problems with it.
I would totally go wtih Carlos' comments here. What EVER you do, do it right. I've seen turbo installs that were terrible, and I've seen turbo installs that were daily drivers (over 30 miles each way).

njprimera said:
well if your looking to do your swap and stick to an auto,
i suggest you talk to enohand. he's been in the process of working
out what is necessary to beef up the tranny with level 10 i believe.

but id say go VE+T :lol:
but im guessing thats not an option...
so im goin put my vote down for VE
FWIW, Level 10 did an auto tranny in an NX that was VET'd WAY back in the day. Carl in NJ owns the car and it's bad to the bone!! (I've ridden in it.. very cool car!). As I understand they just provide a higher stall converter and different clutch packs.

I also like the fact that if one goes VE, they could always add a turbo to it later.. and be VE and Turbo'd.. For alot of people (me included) VE will be enough.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
What are your goals? personally I think the P11 is too heavy to leave all motor. If you put a VE in it, then plan on boosting it. A heavy car needs more TQ to be fun. Personally, I would say go with an Avenier DET or just turbo your existing motor. It will be a lot more fun. If you do it right, like carlos said, then you wont have any problems.

VE is awesome but with the extra weight, you wont feel a huge improvement unless you build it to a 2.3L, port work, cams, valve train, buy a header from me.

Even in my P10, I'm putting together a VE motor temporarily to test some parts then its back to boost. thats my 4cents

1 - 20 of 42 Posts