Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally if you reallly had the money and the patience you might be able to possible fit the skyline engine in a g20 minus the all wheel drive

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, all that any project takes is time and money, but considering the variables, that's a pretty dumb idea. First, let's clarify which engine you're talking about; are we talking about the GT-R's power pland (RB26DETT) or the new Skyline, which has a VQ35DE? Both are rear-wheel drive sixes, one is straight the other is vee.

You could probably fit a VQ35 from an Altima or a Maxima a lot easier, and I'd bet they'll fit. Next hurdle for that engine is the transmission, which won't bolt directly to a P10 or P11 mount system, I don't believe. You may be able to get it bolted to a P11, since a P11 has pretty much the same mounting system as a B15, and a B15 has a QR25, which the Altima (L31) also has, but that's a stretch.

If you're talking about the RB26DETT, my question becomes, "Why?" For starters, there are no transversely-mounted RB26DETTs in the wild, mostly because straight sixes are notoriously loooooooong blocks. I'm not saying it couldn't work, I'm saying the odds are against it. An SR20DET is pretty easily capable of making way more power than a P10 or P11 chassis can handle on the street, so why go to all of the trouble of either redoing the entire floorpan, adding boxed tubing, or whatever else is necessary to fit an RB under the hood of a P.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
loudog6024 said:
Personally if you reallly had the money and the patience you might be able to possible fit the skyline engine in a g20 minus the all wheel drive

Please search first. This topic has already been discussed in length on the forum. Hint: Search for "RB26DETT"

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
loudog6024 said:

NO. :sleep:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do you guys got any friends with muscle cars or like small block to big block cars??? well i think truly if you had the equipment like weilding and are capable of taking out the motor mounts and moving them to where ever needed, replaced the comp, i think it's quite possible.. i'm talking about the RB26dett

·
Registered
218 Posts
Muscle cars have a LOT bigger engine bays than the G20. There's no way in hell you'd get the RB26 block in the G20 without converting to RWD/AWD and moving the firewall back.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
loudog6024 said:

If you have the money, I have the time and patience.

Expect to spend more than an honest to God Skyline GTR V-Spec would cost though. =)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Exactly. If you've got the money to drop RB26DETTs into all sorts of cars, why not just get an R34 Final Edition for yourself? Besides, if you're keen on the RB26DETT, why not stuff it into a chassis that could probably make better use of it, such as an S30 280Z? Now THAT's a dream swap.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
FF Drifter said:
Besides, if you're keen on the RB26DETT, why not stuff it into a chassis that could probably make better use of it, such as an S30 280Z? Now THAT's a dream swap.
Don't toy with my emotions like that. You know I come to tears every time somebody mentions an RB26DETT in an S30. Alas, I will never own one... *sniff*

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what yr was the 280z?

my friends dad owned an old 280z and it had a turbo'd small block in it and it was insanely fast

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The Zs had an L28, some came with turbo (not sure of the years). If I ever consider doing a dream swap project, it's a tossup between an S13 Sil-Eighty with an SR20DET or an S30 with an RB26DETT. Both are legendary swaps; the drift S13KK or the highway king S30. One read of "Wangan Midnight" and I was swayed. Dream car: S30 280Z with an RB26DETT. S30s are cheap nowadays; what $500 at most for a reasonable example? RB26 imported from Japan via Motorex and you can put together a dream with less than $7000 (I imagine). Wanna pitch in CowboyDren? :p

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Well, I live in the Central Midwestern Rust Belt, so it'll be a snitch more than that for a straight S30. How much is an RB26DETT with all necessary piping and ECU, though? Can you get just the front clip from a rolled GT-R?

·
Registered
141 Posts
you can easily spend over 5k for a rb26dett motor. but your not going to spend that king of money on a swap like that. you will have to fabricate more than you can imagine. just the exhaust alone is a nighmare its going to be on the drivers side and believe me if theres any space wit will be tight. and ditch the 4wd??? cool but where you gonna put the tranny and driveshaft?? if your gonna put that where the exhaust was where are you going to put the exhaust?? forget it thats a fantasy swap thing practical. jdm sr20 motors are what your looking at gti-r's, bb's, primeras things like that

·
Registered
117 Posts
ive read that a small block LT1 will bolt right in to a 280z. on websites from people that did this got 0-60 times of around 5 seconds with the stock engine.

but.....nissan kicks detroit butt.

:)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The RB26DETT won't just plop right in, but it's not the most difficult swap to do. I'm just sayin' this cuz I've seen the swap done more than just a few times. If it was really that hard, it woudn't be done so often *in Japan, at least*. There's far more complicated swaps: H22a into an MR2, RWD S2000 motor *F20c* into Honda Accord, or get this: SR20DET into Toyota Supra.

·
Registered
117 Posts
hehe....there was this huge battle on supraforums...none of those cocky bastards would not believe that someone was "stupid enough" to put a nissan 4 into a supra.

a great deal of the members on that forum are total asses that think a supra TT is invincible...though they are all mostly in their 30s and 40s with tens of thousands of dollars to spend...making their cars invincible....dammit.

the whole "sr20 sucks" argument started cause someone with a turbocharged 200sx se-r claimed to take a supra TT on the freeway...he didn't even claim to beat him that badly...he just beat him.

engine swaps are cool.

·
Registered
141 Posts
nissan/infinity owners still dont have all their respect. or whats deserved. but i blame that on the g20s with dtm mufflers 15" rims and disco balls on their rear view mirror. or the sentras with junkyard mufflers and se-r wheels with stock 1.6's. im not trying to diss anybodys car but with the history of nissan motors there is no reason why more swaps arent being made. just an opinion

·
Registered
117 Posts
yeah...i know what you mean...there are plenty of special edition racing stripe 4 door sentras on the streets...and theres nothing we can do about it. for this reason, premium sports car owners will never realize the quality of nissan products.

what i dont get is that the same forum members over there talk about how awesome the 240sx is, and what a great platform it is for performance as well as styling..."just drop in an sr20det and youre all set"

werent they just?.....ah, i give up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts