Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine is in, and unfortunately I missed that day - had a shoot I couldn't reschedule. My brother in law dropped it in.

He says there's ZERO room to run IC piping and he needs to make a piece to connect the hot side of the turbo to the downpipe. he also said there's way too much slack in the throttle cable - do I need a relocation bracket, maybe from Loren? Anyway, the lack of room prompted him to ask me if I could find a performance half rad, but I'd rather not if it's not necessary.

Any input appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,332 Posts
Your not the first to to do this swap it's been done to death. You should be able to finds million pics of IC pipe routes. I would not skimp on a half rad with a big turbo and your lofty HP goals. You need all the heat exchanger surface you can get. Also don't forget the oil cooler.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your not the first to to do this swap it's been done to death. You should be able to finds million pics of IC pipe routes. I would not skimp on a half rad with a big turbo and your lofty HP goals. You need all the heat exchanger surface you can get. Also don't forget the oil cooler.
I did search this quite a bit, but almost everyone I saw routed under the frame because they weren't low. I saw lots of scraped pipes and I also have a skid plate to install. My intercooler is also 3 times bigger than most of the pics I've seen, and my piping is 3". After speaking to Hobbs and Javi and reading a few of Charles' posts I think I may go down to 2.5" so that will help a little.

Appreciate the input Mr. Dane - I thought I might find a high-efficiency rad that could handle it but prefer to keep it stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm... Should have done a proper build thread to share anything we've learned along the way. I'm usually too lazy to take proper pictures and document things when I'm in the garage. I prefer to stay focussed in the moment. Zen.

I guess most people clock the turbo forwards and have an immediate 90deg to point the outlet down? Before I waste time pulling the turbo, is it possible to clock then cold side without removing?

I know it's not optimal, but it might be possible to fabricate a low profile intercooler pipe to sneak under the frame. I've seen it done in a snowmobile application.

Maybe a high flowing single fan would free some space as well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mio-mmfan-16

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I went under the frame at first on the hot side but scraped, so I cut a notch out of the bottom of the radiator support on that side and ran it under/through that. No more scrapey, and still have fogs and A/C with no piping hanging below the bumper cover. I think I cut a notch out of the radiator support on the cool side as well, but it was much smaller as it didn't hang as low because the angle isn't as drastic exiting back up toward the throttle body.

So for mine, it went like this (directions per facing car from front): Turbo clocked down/slightly forward, stock avenir pipe 90º bend left, custom piping 180º U-bend forward and then right (middle of U is where it passes under/through rad support notch) into FMIC, custom piping 90º bend backward, custom shallower angle bend up/backward, into stock avenir piping to throttle body. Get some hose clamps and some bends and play around with it. Once you get it all figured out and routed the way you want, weld it all up. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
When I had turbo I ran the hot side under and it was horrible. I wasn't even lowered. I always banged the pipe and sometimes it pulled right off the turbo even with bead rolled edges. I would go through the frame or any other way.

As far as fans go I went with two aftermarket electric fans wired into the stock wiring and setup as pusher fans in front of the condenser. Made a ton of room and still kept the car cool.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a w11 setup but clocked the turbo and there was a wastgate actuator issue, even with spacers at full boost it would gap and you get a flat spot. I recently found out what was going on 6years after the car was gon, smh. I plan on doing this again but in my g20 but not after I figure out every aspect from piping as such to re-pinning the ecu. So I'm pretty much asking for pics, preferably of the notches cut out if the cars still around, nelson?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.