Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must say that I'm used to clutches on VW's, after having owned 5 of them. This G20t is my first Nissan, Japanese car. People told me the clutch is "light" and it is. I do alot of driving to and from work, about 80kms a day, or 50 miles. Alot of hills to deal with. There is one particular hill in which is kinda steep, and long. So at the bottom I turn onto it from another road. I try to accelerate hard to keep my momentum going. I come around the corner in 2nd, and then wind her up to 5500K or so, then shift into 3rd. Well, the RPM's drop to lets say 3K (can't remember exactly) then it seems like the clutch catches, the the RPM's even out at 3300 or so. But this only happens on steep hills. On normal level spirited driving this doesnt happen. feels like I have a couple of inches of clutch when driving normally. I never experience any slippage at any other time. I've been driving for 15 years now, and I think have only had to replace one clutch the entire time. I don't ride the clutch or anything. Maybe I'm just not used to this car yet? (i've had it a few months).

Thanks!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sounds like it might be going to me. Mine does the same but it's far more progressed, I haven't felt it without issues, but from other japense cars I driven (lower quaility) I would say it's going. If I rev that high I get a heck of a lot of slipping, but I've had it check and know it a bad clutch. (Just saving up for a better performing one now).

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What parts do I need in order to replace the clutch? (other than the clutch itself lol)

I want to price it out to get an idea.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think my clutch is going too. I can't chirp my tires on my 1-2 shift anymore.

PS: I'm local too!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I phone Richmond Infiniti. Its going to be $900 CDN plus taxes, thats includes machining the flywheel if necessary and parts. Wow :(

So are these the parts?

Clutch disc
Pressure plate
release bearing

Anything else I'm missing? The parts from everythingg20.com comes to $170USD for these parts. I guess there is tons of labour involved. I dunno, never done one myself.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Adjusting may be your best bet. I tried to get the clutch kit sent to canada, but it was cheaper to get it from the local dealer when you factor in shipping and potential duties.

·
Registered
196 Posts
that doesn't sound like an adjustment problem. if you have no freeplay in your clutch then adjust it anyway, but what you're feeling soudns like very minor slippage.

Feather it slower and don't snap the clutch out and you'll get a few more miles out of it. Make sure you rev match the thing otherwise you'll just be putting unnecessary wear on the clutch. The power gains for quick shifting (like really quick) in daily driving never out weigh the cost of replacement.

That price for $900 doesn't sound horrid, though you could do much better yourself.

Pressure Plate
Disc
Throwout/Release bearing
Pilot Bearing

Don't forget the pilot, it shoudl be replaced. It's not insanely critical, but they're small, cheap and easy to replace, might as well.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
randyo156 said:
you can adjust it
take out air box and the black air resonator
look down
youll see a cable with a ring(screw) on it
try adjusting
I might have to try this. So just play around with it? Could I possibly make it worse if I adjust it wrong?

·
Registered
653 Posts
holy shit 900!!!!!!!!!!?????????? mine was 550 at a local father and son shop around here and that was parts, labor, and tax.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
$900 Canadian, which is about $740 USD. Plus taxes! But thats from an Infiniti dealer. I'm sure I could find a better deal at an independant shop. I'd like to see if I can adjust it though.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got another quote from a Nissan dealer, $810 CDN plus tax, so a little better than the INfiniti dealer. Time is getting near to do it :(

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
littledog said:
Try giving New Pacific Nissan a call.

lol thats where i got that last quote from. I sometimes see ads in the paper, so maybe I'll wait to see another one. sometimes they have coupons if you spend a certain amount.

·
Registered
436 Posts
satanshollow said:
lol thats where i got that last quote from. I sometimes see ads in the paper, so maybe I'll wait to see another one. sometimes they have coupons if you spend a certain amount.
Try contacting Mike and mention to him you are from "Team Nismo". It's a local B15 club which New Pacific supports. Not sure will you get a better price or not since you are not really part of the B15 club, but it doesn't hurt to try. :lick: Also New Pacific sells aftermarket parts and installs them WITH warranty. Good luck.

Mike Farkas: Fixed Operations Manager
New Pacific Nissan
15257 Fraser Hwy.,
Surrey, BC, 604-589-8905

1 - 20 of 34 Posts