Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC smells dank! Not all of the time, but when it smells it smells bad! Whats wrong with it. Do I need to have it serviced or is there a simple solution? PLEASE HELP!

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
dirty evap coil. it gets real bad when the humidity is high. we used to clean coils at peoples houses on thier house ac. but i don't know if it is possible in a car ac

·
Registered
260 Posts
Off Topic:

RCer i like your avatar! how'd u do that?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Turn the ac on about level 2 fan speed, full cold and max/recirculate and spray lysol towards the floorboard on the passenger side. Just a couple of short bursts, don't hold it solid or your're going to get choked. The air return will carry the Lysol through the evap core and "kill the germs that cause odor". I've done it and it works.

=)

·
Registered
268 Posts
1995g20t said:
Turn the ac on about level 2 fan speed, full cold and max/recirculate and spray lysol towards the floorboard on the passenger side. Just a couple of short bursts, don't hold it solid or your're going to get choked. The air return will carry the Lysol through the evap core and "kill the germs that cause odor". I've done it and it works.

=)
Also, to keep that from happening again, NEVER leave the recalculation closed when you turn off the car after running the AC. Always open it up so the fresh air can dry the condensation that gets trapped in there. That is what causes the smell. At one time mine stank too. Smelled like someone took a leak in my AC!

·
Registered
75 Posts
there are products for professional use that is a bacteria that eats bad bacteria, then dies. It is sprayed with the fresh air duct open, the spray from under the hood at the cowl. turn te fan on high with the doors open.
Follow the previous instructions about opening the fresh air vent & turnin the a/c button off before parking.

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's mildew. It happens from condensation forming on the evaporator core and when the car is shut off and the evap sits inside the baking hot interior and it get's mildewy and musty. They make A/C system treatments that you can buy in an auto parts store that you spray through the vents and into the fresh air duct (windshield cowl vents behind wipers.) Lysol also works. Like mentioned, check that the A/C drain tube isnt blocked up, and leave the recirc off so the fresh air door stays open. We've had some stubborn evaps that no matter how much treatment and lysol you spray up there the smell wont go away. In that case you have to remove the evaporator and soak it in cleaner and clean out the plastic evap housing. The brand new Q45's have a design flaw in the evaporator that makes them smell like something took a shit and piss on it, puked on it then died a smelly hot death all over it. So bad we have to replace them, the whole entire dash has to come out cause the car has "dual climate control" and the evap and heater core are combined in one unit right in the center of the dash. 16 hours total to remove and replace the stupid evaporator in the new Infiniti's. :dead:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bringing up a really old post but does anyone know if we can do the trick where we keep the evaporator in the car and just spray kool-it on it? I assume spraying kool-it through the cowl won't work since there's the blower motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts