Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was tightening my lugs yesterday after doing my brakes I guess I must have twisted my lug on crooked (it went on easy, so I didn't think it was stripping) I tried to take it off today and it didn't come off..I had to snap the bolt off!! Anybody have a write up on how to replace one? I'm going to try to do it tomorrow, but definately Friday if not tomorrow.

Took this from a picture P11GDub posted.

Thanks guys!!

·
*BANNED FROM G20.NET*
4,911 Posts
take off your wheel, take a mallet and hammer it out. ..should just pop right off then vice versa for the new one. make sure you get the right thread and size...dont know it off hand so wouldn't be able to tell ya. sorry...

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
i jstreplaced 2 of mine......

1) remove wheel
2)unbolt caliber, support loose calipier with string or wire
3)use a breaker bar (or large pipe on the end of the ratchet) with a really good socket, break loose both 19mm bolts of touqre member
4)remove tourqe member
5) remove rotor
6) hammer out old stud (since urs is broke, u might wanna get a smaller bolt or thick scredriver & put that down to hti so u dont damage the rotor)
7)place new stud in rotor, tap int a bit,
8) place a slighly larger bolt (big enoguh to not catch on thread stud) over studs & then tighten oem stud down enough to pull the back of the stud completly in
9)replace, rotor, tourqe member, caliber, whell
10) have a beer & then wash ur hands

·
Registered
866 Posts
put the car on jackstands, take off the rim, with the car in neutral, rotate the wheel so that the stud that broke up is in the "12 o'clock" position. then take a hammer and bang it out, keep your hand behind the rotor [make sure the rotor isnt hot], right behind the stud to keep it from dropping between the dust shield.

then take the new stud, slide it in from behind, get an open end lug nut and a washer. Put the washer and nut on the nut once you slide it thru the hub. Then tighten the lug nut REALLY TIGHT, that will draw the stud into place. Then take off the open end lug and washer and put your wheel back on.

thats about it.

·
Questioning Answers
6,853 Posts
only prob i see with fullahs post is.....on my p11 ihave a metal dust shield which makes it impossible to remove a studs without removing the rotor

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys!!! I thought you didn't have to remove the caliper to remove the stud on a 99 G20? and a question on this..

"8) place a slighly larger bolt (big enoguh to not catch on thread stud) over studs & then tighten oem stud down enough to pull the back of the stud completly in"

Put a bigger nut around the stud and than put the lug nut on top of that and thread it onto the stud to pull it through? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol yeah, I was reading everyones posts about just popping it out and I have that stupid dust shield too..so I would have to remove the rotors completely than, right? No special tools required other than my socket wrench and a hammer?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the picture! But I still didn't see the 19mm bolt I need to remove lol..I think I know which one I need to take off. They are the only other 2 by the caliper that look significantly bigger than the smaller ones that you need to remove the caliper. Still waiting on more info. to see if removing the rotor is the only way to do this. I want to do this early morning on Friday because I have to be somewhere at 8:40 a.m.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have the part number for the wheel stud I would need to order it? I looked on EverythingInfiniti, but can't find it and if you can also please give me the part number for Nissan (I live a lot closer to Nissan than Infiniti)

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once again, thanks Mark!! lol..but I would still need the part number, because I'm only going to be at work tues, wed. and thurs. and I don't want to risk not being there when it gets there..and I would like to do this tomorrow (I have all my stuff delivered to my work address)..I just need the part number so I can drive over to Nissan after work and pick it up..can I ask Infiniti for the part number and carry it over to Nissan? Or is it a completely different part number? Oh, I probably didn't find it because I was searching under Wheel Stud and Lug lol

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mark! Can I use all parts from a NISSAN 240SX 1995-1998 on my 99 G20...or just in this case I can use the same wheel stud?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
You can't use all parts obviously.
The front stud is used in lots of cars here...
A32, B13, CA33, K11E, N15, N16, N16E, P11E, S14, T30, VM10, W10, WP11E, Y10, Z32

The rear is used on...
A32, B13, CA33, K11E, M11, N14, N15, N16, N16E, P11E, P12E, T30, VM10, W10, WP11E, Y10.

As you see, they're common shared parts.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Use a torque wrench when tightening lug nuts!!!

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
81 Lb/Ft If I remember rightly

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know I need to use a torque wrench, but I didn't over tighten. I guess when I was screwing the lug nut on with my hand somehow it started to go on crooked and when I started to tighten it with the tire iron it started to strip. When I was trying to remove it, it just kept spinning without coming off, so I had no choice but to snap it off intentionally since the threads were already stripped.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts