1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wikipedia's site on the G20 says it's theoretically possible:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infiniti_G20

Anyone ever done it?

Cuz that'd be a nice project (haha ... xD)

And, yeah, when Engines are named with the Turbo or Twin Turbo codes (aka SR20DET or VQ37DETT) does that mean when you buy the engine, it's turbo ready, but can run without turbos, or do you need to purchase those as well?

Well
That's my next project
Pop a VQ37DETT in a G20
AWD tranny
Um ...

I don't think that's possible.
But by God I'ma look into it.

haha
Feel free to drop ya input ... Or experience, as well.

THANKS!
~Alptraum

One question though.
If the VQ40DE is just an improved & stroked VQ35DE:

http://www.answers.com/topic/nissan-vq-engine

Then why does it produce less HP?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Everything is possible if you have enough money.

I wouldn't put an engine like that in a G20 tho...I don't know how much heavier it is, but i'm pretty sure it would affect the handling. And I guess you pretty much knmow but those car are known for their handling.

I'd look into either a SR20DET or SR20VE, less pain in the ass and you'd have plenty of power and possible upgrades to have fun with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Keep in mind that these swaps will involve extensive fabrication and will get expensive super-fast. You'd probably be looking at half the cost of a GT-R to do a VQ37DETT swap, easy.

The VQ40 is a truck engine and thus is tuned for a flatter power curve (more usable torque) than the VQ35.

Good luck finding a VQ30DETT... probably even rarer than an RB26DETT. ;)

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The weight is about the same between a turbo SR20 and an NA VQ35. Handling should not be much of a problem.

A VQ35 should fit as it fits in a B15 and Nissan was going to put a VQ30 in the P11 but backed out.

Getting a VQ35 would require transmission work as well.

Once people start doing the VQ or QR 6-speed manual swap, it will be soon after that people do a VQ engine swap.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The VQ will come from either an FWD Altima or a Maxima. The cost should be in the many thousand of dollars. The cost will go down if the gurus that are doing the initial swap sell kits. Charles (GT20iR) linked to above is involved. It would make sense in California or other emission hard states for engine swaps to newer cars are generally feasible.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I read that when I joined this forum, ever since I've secretly wished someone would total my mom's 03 Max 6-sp... :bigdevil: Her being unharmed of course :knockout:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
In a rear-ender, of course. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts