Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have '99 5sp model with 142,000.

First of all I have a high pitch vibrating sound when I accelerate, and I heard it had to do with the exhaust/heat shield being loose. <-- How is this fixed?

I'm on my 3rd clutch and what happens is the clutch is extremely rough and hard to press - it literally grinds as I step down on it. And it takes so much force to get the clutch down!

Suspension is making loud squeaking sound whenever the body rolls.

I heard a lot of clunking sound probably coming from the struts.

Car is wobbling and shaking when I press on the brakes to stop. <--- Is it possible calipers are not working properly?

I hear tire slap, and sound increases as speed rises.

Lastly, sometimes in lower gears when I accelerate only at a constant speed, there is a vibration coming from front of car.

Since this car is not worth much more than $3000-$4000 , I wonder if it is even worth it to fix these things.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Sounds like you need some new suspension pieces and to get your brakes done.
The wobbling/shaking while braking could be the rotors needing to be turned or worst case replaced. GL, D

·
Registered
973 Posts
donkinuts said:
Hi. I have '99 5sp model with 142,000.

First of all I have a high pitch vibrating sound when I accelerate, and I heard it had to do with the exhaust/heat shield being loose. <-- How is this fixed?

I'm on my 3rd clutch and what happens is the clutch is extremely rough and hard to press - it literally grinds as I step down on it. And it takes so much force to get the clutch down!

Car is wobbling and shaking when I press on the brakes to stop. <--- Is it possible calipers are not working properly?

Lastly, sometimes in lower gears when I accelerate only at a constant speed, there is a vibration coming from front of car.

Since this car is not worth much more than $3000-$4000 , I wonder if it is even worth it to fix these things.

Thanks.
It's worth it if you like the car. Take it a bit at a time and do it in order of importance.

Not the most technical response, but this is just based on experience.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
First thning I would say is you definitely gotta assess how much you love the car.

donkinuts said:
I had the this high pitched noise, and I gruonded my maf and most of the wining went away. You should also change your oil (use mobil 1 5w30), since that seems to help with timing chain chatter that can sound like whining. You may have an exhaust leak/shield. Pop the hood and look for any thing loose, tighten it down.

MAF grounding: http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50231
search for heat shield issues, whining

donkinuts said:
Who did the clutches? How long did each clutch last? It shouldn't feel like this, it should be fairly smooth especially if you used an OEM clutch. If this one feels like crap and was done recently, take it back to the shop. Hopefully they are reputable.

donkinuts said:
Sounds like bushings to me, you would need to have them replaced

There are a lot of threads on bushings, there are a lot of them. Perhaps sway bar, etc. Search around for "bushings" and read up

donkinuts said:
There are a couple of clunk threads that you should look up. Mine ended up being a loose caliper but there are tons of things it could be. It could be the struts but it also could be somehting as simple as the spare bouncing around in the trunk

Clunk threads
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48406
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49617
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49548

donkinuts said:
Sounds like your some/all of you rotors are warped and need to be replaced.

donkinuts said:
Check tire pressure, do tires need to be replaced, align, balance, etc?

donkinuts said:
Sounds like motor mounts

________
Well that's the start of it, just trying to give you some starting points. I'm just throwing out ideas I may not be right on any of them but I hope I gave you a start. Sounds like you have a lot of problems but honestly most of them are wear items and aren't supposed to last forever. If the car has a good body and is generally running well may be worth fixing these things (could cost $$ though).

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Sounds like your car needs some TLC.....do a little bit at a time & whenever possible do your own work or maybe offer some members some beer for a geekout that way you can get some ppl with experience....good luck

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
merlin beat me to a few things, i was gonna say sodns like warped rotors, and it also sounds like a bushing and motor mounts... in the end, its true, if you like the car, its worth it. but motor mounts are spendy. the bushing, if you can locate which one squeaks, get some grease or lubricant and if you can get the top nut off the strut thats doing it, lube it up a bit so it doesnt squeak. that *should* be an easy fix, although not foolproof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts