Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Still learning :D
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are my last resort! I'd really hate having to go out and buy something or go to the dealer... [<- Broke college kid]

So here's the story. I changed my oil a few times on my 94'. Cake walk. Welp... The "new" t was due for an oil change a few hundred miles ago, so I try to change it two days ago. So, I figure I let my oil drain while I install my "new" rear speakers. I HAD to use a breaker-bar for the oil plug... I thought it was a bit odd. Sucker was pretty tight, but I popped it off with a bit of elbow grease. Now here's the problem. I mosey on up to the oil filter. Grabbed it by hand and tried to bear-claw it. No good. Took out the trusty oil filter wrench to give it a go, and guess what :) Still won't budge :D So, I've been running new oil with old filter. How do I get that sucker off?!?! I've always man handled it until it gave way. Any advice would be much appreciated. TYIA.

PS. It's an OEM filter stuck on there if that makes any difference. And, previous owner did it himself...

·
Super Moderator
15,149 Posts
What I've done in the pas it use a hammer and screwdriver. Smash a screw driver straight through the filter and turn. I'm sure someone will say this is the wrong thing to do, but it has worked for me in the past with no problems, yet if you don't get the filer off you're SOL.

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahaha... Yeah... My dad did the screwdriver through the filter technique before. I don't really want all that oil everywhere.

Is there enough room in there for a wrench? Well... Since you mentioned it, I guess there has to be :p I suppose I could do that. Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming though.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have a oil filter cap you can borrow. Come by and pick it up! Or you can redo your oil at my house. Maybe Marty will come too. (95826)

·
Registered
35 Posts
when you do finally redo the oil...only tighten the filter hand tight...it wont leak and it will come off much easier next time

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I found a cool little Channel Lock tool at Home Depot that should work well for this. I had a store credit to use up, so I was looking for something to buy- it was $10-15. It looks like a small channel-lock type tool that is made for taking out oil filters. I've been thru a variety of the AZ "oem" cheapos, none of which work well and break easily.

http://www.channellock.com/acb/stores/1/209_-_9_inch_Oil_Filter_Plier_P140C5.cfm

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
If you let the car sit for a day, there wont be much oil in the filter so the screwdriver technique wont be that bad. if it was just running and you let it sit for 5 minutes, yes you will have oil everywhere =P

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
TE's02p11G said:
I have a oil filter cap you can borrow. Come by and pick it up! Or you can redo your oil at my house. Maybe Marty will come too. (95826)
i vote for the oil filter cap, then channel locks, then screwdriver :)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Just had this happen to me today...except my cap wrench wouldnt move the filter at all....was like it was stripping.

I took a screwdriver through it and still couldn't budge it. So, I went to pep boys and got that plyer looking oil filter wrench. Was hard even with that, but I got it off.

What gives with everyone having the same problems as me today?

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TE's02p11G said:
Sweet! I'm changing my brakes, tomorrow. I'll PM you on details. Thanks!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Before you get all tooled-up, try having the engine WARM when you unscrew the filter by hand.

It's amazing how a little heat loosens these up.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Use an impact hammer to pop a hole in the sucker, then force a screwdriver through it and twist that sucka off! Worked for me, albeit a bit messy.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
DonSwier said:
Before you get all tooled-up, try having the engine WARM when you unscrew the filter by hand.

It's amazing how a little heat loosens these up.
wouldnt the heat actually expand the metal thereby making it harder to takeoff? i use the oil cap wrench to budge the filter rfee and and turn therest by hand. and only use my hands when putting it back on. not problems yet.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I also had this problem with my last oil change. I think I let the engine cool down too much so it was hard to get it off. I tried one of those old oil filter wrenches, but it was too big. So I just kept working at it by hand. Eventually, about half an hour later I got it to come off! i always put oil on the oil filter seal too. I'm guessing I tightened it too much and left the car sitting too long after I last drove it.

Next time when I do a change, I'll try to get the oil filter off first, then drain the oil! :D

I also got one of those channel lock wrenches from home depot, I haven't tried it but it fits!

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Use copper grease on the rubber ringi doofer ;)

·
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great ideas guys! I'm going to rip that sucker off in a little bit. Another forum member will be over to install his spoiler. We've been having secret, mini wrench meets for the past week. Which reminds me... He forfeits his house for a wrench meet at ANY time :D Three car driveway, three car garage, not too many tools but enough to get buy. We'll talk it over and try to get a wrench meet going some time soon. So gentlemen, start thinking of what you need to get done :D Did I mention he has a gas grill :naughty: I'm thinking... New suspension, anyone ;) Thanks again guys.

LONG LIVE GNET!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts