Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Solo 2 Race

Well I just got finished flogging the G at the local auto-x :cool: and I'm telling you if you haven't got a chance to go to one of these and race your car you NEED to go. I only pulled out second in STS this time because I was a little over one second behind a Impreza 2.5 RS but all in all I don't think I did to bad, the car was great but my driving sucked :( but I'm working on it. The new suspension (B&G springs/KYB GR-2 shocks) worked very well and got rid of a lot of understeer, but she still pushes at the limit, and no bottoming out at all on the tight turns exept once coming into a tight left and hitting a bump it got a little harsh but not real bad. Well thats it for now just wanted to let everyone know there is some one here putting the smack down on the Hondahs at least once a month :evil: .

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
It's a blast! I head to the local Corvette solo II here near toronto. It's a pretty tough field and most have racing tires. But even if you go just to have fun and improve your times each lap it's worth it. I just race against myself.

I always feel in a zen like state when I'm done. Calm as a mutha when I'm driving home. ;)

·
Registered
424 Posts
J, sounds like we need to set up one of these before you permenantly moved to Vancouver. I would love to go out and race against myself just for the sake of it. I want to do it in stock form and mods form just to compare. What's the cost for one of these events?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
It's $20. I know there are a couple miata guys that make the trip down from Ottawa everyonce in a while. I'll see if I can't get you in touch with them.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Yes!

Autocross is a very fun, addictive activity that I discovered back in 96 at Carlise, PA with my former Merkur XR4Ti at an all Ford Nationals event!

...it is probably the safest type of racing because usually the worst damage you can do is a scuff from a cone you hit. It is considered safer than driving in the street!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: Yes!

Chris said:
...it is probably the safest type of racing because usually the worst damage you can do is a scuff from a cone you hit. It is considered safer than driving in the street!
Amen to that;)

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
..and

the G20 in stock form is a great candidate for it... but the addiction makes you want to start changing your car so be warned!!!

I use a different car for autocross and track days myself (grin)... so my g20 stays mostly 100% stock..

..the thing about changing suspension is that you suffer in every day use when you lower the car and go stiffer.... but the results for autocross are fantastic!

...but before suspension changes for autocross, I would recommend R compound tires.. ...it can make a 2-3 second difference!

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Re: ..and

Chris said:

..the thing about changing suspension is that you suffer in every day use when you lower the car and go stiffer.... but the results for autocross are fantastic!
Says you! ;) I put the stock suspenion on recently. After having on the TEINS, while still too soft for track, they feel like I'm riding on a set of pillows. :( I can't wait to get the JICs.

...but before suspension changes for autocross, I would recommend R compound tires.. ...it can make a 2-3 second difference!
For sure! The guys in my class on R tires were consistenly 2-3 seconds on me on my Contentials.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You see I run STS because they don't allow R compound tires and I was tired of getting beat by lesser cars because they had better tires, STS also lets you change just about anything you want on the car exept engine internals and spring perches. As for the suspension changes making a difference, OH YAH, it was a huge difference from racing on stock springs. I don't know what everyone is talking about (or a-boot for the Canadians :cheeky: ) saying the ride sucks when they lower it unless they spend 1k+ on coilovers, I spent $455 total which included delivery for B&G springs and KYB GR-2 shocks and the ride is just a little stiffer than stock but never annoying, hell even my girlfriend said that it rides better than her stock prelude and if my girl thinks it rides ok then the rest of you guys bitching and moaning because it's a little bumpy need to start wearing dresses so people will know from a distance what kind of pansy you are. Maybe it's just because B&G make realy good springs but I can't see how a set of Eibach or H&R's would be much different as long as you get a good set of shocks to go with the new springs. As for it being to soft for the track I don't agree I didn't have any problems bottoming out and I personaly like to keep it little soft because it makes setting up for a corner a little easier, for me anyways, when I can feel the car's weight shift but thats just my driving style so somebody elses might be a bit different so they might prefer the stiffer setup.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
o.k.

I haven't ridden in other G20's other than a T vs. normal which I consider pretty darn close anyway... so maybe you are right about the ride being just as good.. etc.

....BUT my suspension in my track/autocross car is lowered by only 1" and is a full coil-over done right with different front and rear sway bars etc... It is not at all comfortable on the street.. while it was much more comfortable in stock form.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
You guys are all a bunch of wusses :lol: I love the way my car handles on the track. The Falken Azenis tires are absolutely incredible on the track as well. At the convention I was able to suprise a couple people who rode in my car, even the instructor the first session out commented on the suspension/tire combo. After a couple laps he turned to me and asked are these street tires (YUP!=) ) umm.. is the suspension stock? (nope! =) ) I was very happy with how my car did on the track with that setup. Best part is I drove it to and from the track and didn't touch anything but the tire pressure (raised it up while on track).

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
JustinP10 said:
You guys are all a bunch of wusses :lol: I love the way my car handles on the track.
Hey, my cars been on the track to so.... :p

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
uh huh..

ANY car can go on a track actually... and anyone can learn how to 'track drive' in any car.... as you get better and better, you'll end up wanting to improve your tires, suspension, etc.

Doing a Driver's Ed event at a track is a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

...something I would recommend to ANYONE!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts