Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i was wondering if all our cars have the smae flywheel why do we have two kinds of starters one having eight teeth and the other having 6. Whats the deal, it was the same way on my 91 se-r. Just wondering if theres a reason for it or just for the hell of it. Anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Not about the starter, as for the flywheel they should all be the same. Any Manual SR20 motor's flywheel should bolt up.

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
For the same reason that just about every model year of the SR20 there are numerous parts which are different: cost, improvements, performance.

Anyhow, I'm still wondering what a starter has to do w/ a flywheel which is part of your transmission.

·
Registered
306 Posts
torque, cost

Same reason your mountain bike has diifferent gears. The 6 tooth starter is probably smaller but has less torque and uses a higher rotational speed. The 8 tooth spins slower (33%) but has the torque to turn ther taller ratio.
The end goal is to turn the motor to the starting rpm. If they can do it with a more compact, efficient, cheaper electric motor, they will switch, sometimes right in the middle of the model year. This is what occurred regularly in the 93, 93.5, 94 changeover. You have to remember EVERY part on a car has a company that specializes in the R&D and building of that part. Their job is to improve it and/or make it cheaper and then sell it. This is especially true of Japanese car companies and is FINALLY taking hold in the U.S. There is no such thing as good enough; it can always be made better, faster, cheaper, stronger, lighter, etc. But I digressed...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wonder if this has anything to do with the starters mentioned in the SE-R archives. One was significantly stronger and more durable than the other, but have different part numbers. If you had the weak one (a Mitsubishi?) and needed to replace it, the best thing to do would be to order the strong one (a Denso? Don't quote me on the manufacturers).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts