Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is a different sound than before..I hear this normally in 2nd and 3rd gear at about 2,000 and 4,000 rpm..at first I thought it was just the wind entering the car, but I put the window up a little and still heard it. This sounds somewhat like a ticking (best that I can describe it) and it somewhat sounds like it's by the drivers side tire. Any ideas? I don't hear this sound at idle or even when I'm in neutral and rev a little. I noticed this sound goes away either when I give the car more gas or when I let off of the gas. At first I thought it was the tires, but I figured if it were the tires than I would hear this sound in neutral and rolling. This sound is pretty faint and is heard easiest when driving next to walls or cars.

Thanks guys!!

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Check your exhaust for leaks. It could also be lifters. On my old engine I had a ticking that when it started was only around 2500 rpm but spread to other parts of the rev range. That was ait in the lifters. Now I have ticking whenever I'm on the gas, but it goes away when I let off. Mike (p10det) diagnosed it as an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I already checked my lifters by pressing on them and there's no movement. If it were the lifters is it possible just to hear this on one side of the engine? This sounds as though it's coming from my drivers side tire..Oh and how would I check for an exhaust leak? Is an exhaust leak bad for the car?

Thanks!

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Check whether any part of your exhaust is damaged, rusted through, or blackened (the black part will be where the leak is). I had some trouble finding mine, but Mike said it was most likely my downpipe, so I've ordered a new one and hopefully replacing it will fix my problem.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard that ticking before on my other car and this one is different..I did notice one thing though. When I have my hood up I kind of hear a dinging which might be the same noise. This noise happens if I rev rapidly and I think the sound is coming from the heat shield...Which explains why I hear it at certain rpms..once I go faster the car tightens up and doesn't vibrate as much. I still want to remove it to make sure that's what it is though.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Hah, heat shield... what's that? I don't have no stinkin' heat shield! :p

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I'm referring to the heatshield on the headers not the cat..I drove with my door open and now it sounds as though it's coming from the underside and not the engine..When I drive at a steady speed and when the speed gradually increases I don’t hear it, but when I push the gas further down for a brief time you can hear it..I’ll try and remove it this weekend and see if that’s it. I wonder why I never noticed this before.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Is theer a heatshield on your cat? I don't have it on either the downpipe or the cat.

·
Registered
136 Posts
do u have a short shifter?
Mine does a klinging klicking sound sometimes when i'm in 3rd or 5th gear an exalerate.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I get a ticking/ clattering sound coming from what spunds like the upper engine space from 2K to 3.25K rpm ONLY when ACCELERATING IN GEAR. In neutral and at idle there is NO clattering, only when the engine is under load (in gear and accelerating). I have the understanding that if it were a bad hydraulic lifter, I would hear that noise both when accelerating IN gear as well as in neutral and when idling. Is this a correct assumption?
The noise increases frequency with the rise in rpms and is no longer audible past 3.25 - 3.4K.

I recently replaced timing chain, timing chain tensioner, timing chain guides, ROCKER ARMS, LIFTERS, and cams (OEM). I also drained and refilled the manual transmission oil with GL-4 gear oil. I did not change or adjust the valve shims or rocker guides when replacing the rocker arms. The hydraulic lifters were taken from a year 2000 engine. I cleaned then out and bled the air from them before installing them.

As a side note, I noticed I do have a leak in the EGR port on the underside of the upper intake.
One of the EGR port plugs has a hole eroded clean through the middle of it, and EGR exhaust gas is pushed out via this hole in the plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts